1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 Help Please !!!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by firefighter1406, Jan 22, 2009.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have just installed a C8.5 plow with the E-60 pump on my truck. I have it all hooked up but when I try to go up it goes to the left. The left and right functions work great but the up make it go to the left. Any help would be great.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. firefighter1406

How do you test for magnatism?

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

1. Using a screwdriver or other small tool to check for magnetism of the solenoid coils “A”, “B” and “C”. Place the tool on the nut
    securing the coil and have an assistant operate the switch. You should feel strong magnetic attraction.

5. firefighter1406

Thanks will try that right now.

6. firefighter1406

Alright. I checked the coil and I thought it was bad. Bought a new one and it still only went to the left when the up was pushed, and went left and right fine. So the next thing was to check the A and B valves, pulled both of them out and they both look good, reinstalled and then tried. The plow went all the way to the left and will not do anything more now. It will not go up,left or right? The pump is running it just will not move from the left position.

7. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Remove, clean and check ALL grounds, if that does not work, I would look at the crossover relief

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

9. firefighter1406

I will have to check the valves and see if it clicks like that. Would a bad ground make this much trouble?

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Well at least the motor is grounded if it runs, and the same for the solenoids if they have magnetism and they click when you apply power to them. Granted it could be a poor ground I guess but that's easy enough to clean the ground connections and even use jumper cables to add an extra ground for testing if you want.

11. firefighter1406

It is just driving me nuts that it was going left and right and now nothing. I am new to the plowing thing so I am learning as I go.

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

is your touch pad going in2 protect mode

13. firefighter1406

How do you know if it is doing that? It is not in overload.

14. kashman

ok so you now know its not electrical. check you fluid level

15. kashman

drain the pump flush and refill. take your quick connects and plug the rams 2gather and see if you can move the plow left2right. next put the plow in float and see if you can move the lift ram up and down

16. firefighter1406

Okay, I went to clean up the connections and the positive stud snapped of the motor!! I took the cap off to get a better look and the stud is now just turning and is going to brake the wires off inside if I continue. Am I better off spending the $100 for a new motor or can I repair this? I was just going to take the whole truck to the plow shop and tell them to get it working but they want $69 dollars a hour!! It seems like everytime I touch this this something else brakes.

17. firefighter1406

Alright got the motor fixed. I drained the pump and checked all filters and valves. You can move all the valves with a screwdriver easliy. I refilled with new fluid. I bought a new A coil for it and installed. Now when I apply power to the A coil I get magnetism and you can hear the valve click. I tried to apply power to the B and C coils and didn't get magnetism or hear the valve click so According to the flow chart from meyer the coils are bad. I went and bought new B and C coils and still dont get magnetism or hear the valve click when power is applied. I tested the wire harness and I am getting power through all the wires when the individual directions are pressed. No matter what direction I press it goes to the left. It's like none of the valves are doing anything. My last question is do the coils have to have the bolts on top of them to ground them so they work? Because this pump has been sitting a while and the B and C coil nuts to tighten them down both broke off, is this why they are not working and the A coil is because it still has the nut on top? I am out of ideas on what it is.

18. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Yes, the coils need to be grounded, the nuts on, to work. The A coil is for drop so until you get it to lift you can't tell if it works or not.

19. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

BTW, usually when you snap the stud off of the top of a valve the repair is to replace the valve. If you have the skills and equipment you can weld a new stud on the top.

20. firefighter1406

Anybody have any suggestions on how to ground them? The bolts are broke off flush with the top of the valve. Could I drill and tap a small hole on the top of the valves, or are the stems holllow and I will ruin them? Could I run a seprate ground wire to them and hose clamp them on or something? I am at a loss.