1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 drops down in about 1 min..help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cmo18, Dec 24, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have a E-60 pump... The plow works great but there is a lot of fluid coming out by the lift cylinder. I'm assuming there is a bad seal...can any one help me identify it please
    Thanks Chris

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I had the same problem with the same pump. You can try tightening the packing nut or just buy a new one for a few bucks. It really couldn't be easier.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

packing nut?

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

It leaking right from the lift cylinder.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

your top seal is bad chris. i have them if you want one.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

How much? Do you have a part number? How much would shipping be?

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Can I buy just the seal or do I have to buy the whole top cover?

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Picture of where its leaking...

IMG00025-20091224-1640.jpg

9. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I cannot tell from the picture but is the lift ram rusty? this may be the reason the top seal is leaking. You may want to think about changing this as well if it is rusty

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the cup at the bottom of the cylinder is bad

JR

11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

the brand is bad

12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

can you explain a little bit?

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

B&B any input?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it just leaking fluid out the wiper seal Chris or is the plow physically leaking down too?

15. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

fluid is leaking out of the seal around the shaft. The plow will raise and then be on the ground in 1 min

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Chris you need to order up and seal kit and re-seal the lifting cylinder. Not a tough job if you have some mechanical abilities and you can use the breakdown manual for most guidance. Be sure the ram and cylinder are in good shape too after you have it disassembled. Any pitting or rough areas on either of those will just tear the new seals up. It's also a good time to clean the sumpbase out while you have the top end apart as you will find some debris in there that any previous flushes or fluid changes will not remove. Just good preventative maintenance.

Wouldn't hesitate to throw a fresh A valve in it as well while purchasing parts.

17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

thanks B&B, I was looking at the breakdown on the manual you sent me on the pump. Doesn't look to hard of a job, would you know a part number for the kit? No lead said he has them.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A minor seal kit will give you the needed seals/O-rings to re-seal the lift cylinder. OEM p/n on that is 15707. Unless you wish to go ahead and buy a master kit which includes every single seal in the unit, that one would be p/n 15705.

19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Thanks B&B, I hope everything goes smooth...I'm ordering a kit right now..How much fluid am I going to loose? Is there any tricks I should know before going into this?
    Chris

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pick yourself up 3 qts of fluid Chris (plus any extra you want on hand) as it's a good time to drain the angle cylinders and hoses too while you're in the pump. A filter cleaning goes along with that too of course.

Toughest part of the whole job is getting the top cap and tank loose from the sump base once you have the 3 nuts removed from the top. Some gentle hammer and screwdriver placements will be in order.

1)After you have the lift cylinder disassembled look the ram and cylinder bore over closely for any rust or pitting. Especially the cylinder bore in the portion that the packing cup rides in as any roughness will damage the new packing cup in short order.

2) When you remove the nut from the bottom of the ram to replace the packing be sure to replace the O-ring right above the top brass guide right above the packing cup as any leak there will cause the plow to leak down.

3) Make sure to get the lock nut at the base of the ram nice and tight when reinstalling it.

4) Be sure to pre-lubricate the new packing cup after it's installed on the ram. Soaking it in a shallow pan of plow fluid would be ideal. When you go to install the ram back into the cylinder be sure to insert it from the BOTTOM of the cylinder.

5) Be sure the O-ring in the sump base that seals the ram cylinder is not rolled and sets perfectly in its groove as you install it and double check it once again as you're setting the cylinder/ram assembly onto it. This is critical.

Any mistakes in the above details and the plow will still leak down as all these components are critical to a good sealing cylinder.

6) Make sure to replace the plastic wiper ring on the underside of the top cap when you're changing the external wiper seal. This wiper is worn in your pump and is the reason your ram leaked fluid out the top external wiper seal (the one that is visible). Most think its the external seal that causes a leak there but its actually the internal wiper not doing its job of stripping the excess fluid from the ram as it extends..

Use brake to clean out the sump base until it sparkles and be sure to compare the old components you remove with the new ones in the seal kit to be sure you're using the correct seals in their correct locations while following the manual and you should have little problems, if you do just give a shout.