1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

E-60 Angle trouble after rebuild...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jbi123, Oct 31, 2011.

  1. jbi123

    jbi123 Junior Member
    from VA
    Messages: 4

    I rebuilt the E-60 pump on my ST90 plow over the summer - the problem was a corroded lift cylinder and rod causing leakdown, which I fixed. There were no problems with the angle ram functions. At the same time I removed and re-installed all the valves after replacing their soft parts following Meyer's manual. Replaced the coils, angle rams, hoses (not the quick couplers). Today I put it all back together, bled the fluid from the angle rams and then adjusted pump pressure to 2000 psi since I went with the 1-3/4" lift cylinder. The lift cyl works great now, but the angle ram problems started immediately.

    The plow would angle fine to the right, but would stick at the extreme right and have to be given a push (by hand) to get it started angling to the left although you could hear the pump trying to make it go. Once started angling left, it would be fine for the rest of the stroke although when you let off the button you could force the blade left and right by hand, about 6" either way.

    So I thought there might be air in it, and was clicking the left/right angle buttons while the blade was near the extreme-right position, just before where it would get 'stuck.' Just trying to work it back and forth in that area to free it up. Well, all of the sudden when I clicked the "angle right" button, it started angling left! And the "angle left" button makes it angle left as well.

    So I have two problems: the sticking at the extreme right position and the new "angle left only" problem.

    FYI, I haven't adjusted the crossover relief valve yet, and I'm sure it's not in it's original position since I did remove it to replace the seals on it.

    Finally, I could only get about 1-3/4 qts of fluid into the system, which was totally dry with the new rams/hoses and rebuilt pump. I've got the fluid level about 1-1/2" down from the top with the lift cylinder all the way down.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've read my manual and searched online but I'm not sure what order to go in diagnosing these problems. Basically I'm not sure where I should start - I have some electrical/hydraulic knowledge but haven't ever worked on a snowplow pump before.
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Michaelzz28

    Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 48

    sounds like you either have a bad seal on the c coil valve or the c coil went bad
     
  3. Michaelzz28

    Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 48

    might want to set the crossover valve first before trying anything else
     
  4. jbi123

    jbi123 Junior Member
    from VA
    Messages: 4

    So right now the blade is angled completely to the left and can't be powered right. If I understand right, to set the crossover valve, would I put the gauge inline with the right side cylinder hose, and drive the truck forward with the right corner of the blade up against a concrete wall until the blade moved, and read the pressure when it moved? The manual says 3800 +/- 400 psi is what I'm looking for.
     
  5. jbi123

    jbi123 Junior Member
    from VA
    Messages: 4

    1. I just checked the C coil with the help of my wife - it magnetizes.

    2. Can someone verify I've got the crossover relief valve pressure check routine right before I do it?

    3. Also any other advice for this situation is welcome - thanks again for the help so far.
     
  6. jbi123

    jbi123 Junior Member
    from VA
    Messages: 4

    PROBLEM SOLVED: There was a non-Meyer female coupler on one of the plow hoses that wasn't letting full flow go through the right angle ram. I hadn't noticed the coupler until this morning - it did let a Meyer male coupler lock in, but wouldn't allow much flow. I replaced all four QD couplers. Plow still only angled to the left, but I fixed that by finding and replacing the blown o-ring in the very bottom of the crossover relief valve. It had blown while I was working the blade back and forth, probably due to overpressure from the bad coupler. As soon as it blew, the "angle right" function stopped working and became an "angle left" function. Everything is now fixed and running A-OK, including the problem I had with the blade needing help when in the far-right position.

    Moral of the story - if there's a coupler problem, it can sure look like something else. I'm glad I removed and checked the C-valve (it was fine - plunger operated as expected) rather than just replacing it. Four couplers and one o-ring is a pretty cheap fix.