1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E 58 H unit will not hold angle righ.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by buckslyder, Dec 10, 2012.

1. buckslyder

buckslyder Junior Member
    from 59701

replaced my e47 with a new e 58h meyer unit. Replaced all hoses, couplers. Bled both rams. Problem I have is the unit will not hold angle right, will hold in left position. My local dealer is confused also. We replaced the crossover valve and the C value totally with new. I even replaced my up/down and angle switches. Very Confused. Thanks in advance.

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Check for voltage/magnetism at your solenoids. If you have a short somewhere, you may be powering a solenoid unintentionally, allowing it to release like that.

Its too bad its an E58H and not an E57H, since that would allow you to troubleshoot by swapping angle blocks with the old E47.

This problem is unlikely to be the crossover valve, since that would probably allow it to drift in both directions. It could be the check valve. Meyer pumps are notorious for breaking the springs on the check valves. Also possible to be a C valve, but you've already replaced it with new.

3. buckslyder

buckslyder Junior Member
    from 59701

jasonv thanks. my dealer loaned me another brand new 58 unit. I installed that and still have the same problem, angle holds left and will not hold right. Like you suggested I am leaning toward an electrical problem. I am going to replace my 2 toggle switches with a new harness, solenoid and slik switch. Hope this solves it.

4. jasonv

from kannada

Meyer switches are terrible. I've always had problems with them. The switches they supply are NOT adequate for the relatively high current that they are required to transfer. As a result, they make a pretty severe arc every time they connect. Most of the time this results in an insulating barrier between the contacts, but I suppose it is also possible to weld the contacts together, which I suspect may be the problem in your case. In general, a much larger contact surface in the switch will disperse the potential across a larger area and avoid arcing.

If you can, replace the failed switch with something much larger. These switches are just generic DPDT switches. The angling switch is momentary contact in both directions, the lifting switch is momentary for UP and latching for float. Commons (center pins) for all four circuits are battery-positive.

I'm studying the hydraulic circuit diagram for that pump. Here is something rather strange that I'm noticing. I don't think it even MATTERS if you leave one of the valve coils energized. The way the check valve is designed on that unit, it CAN'T allow fluid out of the extended cylinder unless the inlet for the compressed cylinder is actually pressurized. Which means that the motor HAS to be running. The C-valve is the only valve that can have any impact on the angling cylinders.

On further thought, the ONLY possibility is the check valve. I know you say you tried with a whole other pump.... which suggests that he either loaned you a pump with a broken check valve, or your angling cylinders are contaminated with something that is getting into the check valve.

As I've mentioned, meyer pumps are notorious for breaking their check valve springs. You've got to inspect the check valves.

Have a look: http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-822R1 E-58H Shop Manual.pdf

Notice the "dual pilot check" right beside the C-valve. You see what that is, there is a piston in the middle there with a couple of rods that push against the ball bearings that seal the passages. When the compressed side is pressurized from the motor, it pushes both the ball AND the piston (away from each other), and the piston pushes the ball for the extended size, allowing the pressure to be released into the reservoir. When neither side is pressurized, the piston isn't pushing against either valve, which means that fluid can't flow out of either cylinder.

Note that the dual pilot check valve is accessed from the top AND bottom of the power angling block.

And check your cylinders for contamination. If one of the cylinders is contaminated with water, goo, or chunks of rust, and that contamination is blowing out into the check valve (maybe water as ice?), that could be sticking the check valve.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have to disagree with this. i still have the same switches in my 3 79 F-350's and the 88 F-Superduty that i put in the trucks back in 1988, and they all still work just as good as the day i put them in..
    it is the new switches that are made in china that are crap.
    i have had to replace 3 sets of switches in my partners F-350 since i put that plow on it 6 years ago

6. jasonv

from kannada

You need to actually use it in order to wear them out. Plowing once every 5 years isn't going to stress them out. The same switches they were selling in about '88.. complete GARBAGE.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that truck has plowed every year since new except for 2004 when i had my heart attack. it now has 495,000 miles on it, and i bet at least 120,000 of those miles were put on plowing.
    it still has the same switches, solenoids, and pump i put on it in September of 1988. never taken apart, and never rebuilt. all i do is change the oil every fall and keep good hoses on it.

the only pump i have had to rebuilt is the E-60 on my 02. it was acting up when i got the truck 6 years ago.
    all others are at least 25 years old.

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

To the original poster...sounds like the drivers side angle ram has air in it, allowing it to compress. When pressure is put to it. How are the seals on the rams? Any pitting or leaking?

And, im using meyer switches that are older than I am...no issues whatsoever.

9. buckslyder

buckslyder Junior Member
    from 59701

JeepCo, that was one of my first thoughts also, is of a bad, leaking or air in a ram. What I did was reversed the hoses and my problem reversed. It would hold right side angle, but not left. Therefore that ruled out a ram problem. Appreciate the help tho. I have replaced everything except electrical, so I ordered a slik switch with solenoid and harness, then I can have a brand new plow unit that doesnt work. lol.

10. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Bad crossover relief maybe?

11. jasonv

from kannada

Unlikely. If the crossover valve was causing problems, it wouldn't hold in either direction. It is holding (according to OP) in one direction.