1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-57H Issues

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by atclarkson, Jan 2, 2010.

1. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

I'm having some issues with my blade.

8 foot Poly, with the E-57H pump.

Issues before were slow lifting, and would freeze up left and right, stick, etc. (Air I assume) and felt like it was freezing up. I pulled the pump off, put it on the bench and cleaned it with kerosene, then refilled it. flushed the power angle cylinders with kerosene then filled them back up. put the plow together, bled the system, and it worked perfect.

Now having the same issues. Where do I start to look?

Thanks!

2. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

hopefully someone will see this....

I topped it off with fluid yesterday, bled the power angle cylinders again, and went out plowing. We had some major drifting to deal with, but it did very well. After all my driveways it was still fully bled and working perfect. I topped off the fluid again (few oz down) and left it while I had dinner. I came back out, and back to the same issues. Hard to get off the ground first few tries, and after 3 driveways (just cleanups) it was full of air and flopping all over the place.

It looks to be leaking at the coupler for the right side power angle cylinder and at the top of the lift ram (I assume ot be from the pressure release on the filler cap)

So... I'm assuming it doesn't like the cold. What do I do? Antifreeze? A heater for the pump/ram? (I was thinking one of those block heaters that lay on the outside of the engine)

3. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

just brought it into the shop, lowered the plow and pulled the filler cap off. The system is full of air. It bubbled over for about 5 seconds and got fluid everywhere. Looks like no snow for the rest of the week, but the plows just went around and I need to go do clean ups....

:realmad: meyers

anyone????:dizzy:

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

You may have overfilled it, the full level is approximately 1" down from the filler hole.

If you have any leaks the pump will suck in air and moisture into the hydro system and with Meyer pumps they will freeze up with any amount of trapped water in the system.

I would recommend a total drain of the system, especially the angle rams, then repair any leaks , or replace couplings, Run some Meyer fluid flush through the system, cycle it 20+ times, then drain completely, Refill will Blue Hydraulic fluid, cycle the plow 10 or so times, let plow sit for a 1/2 hour, check fluid level, bring up to 1" of fill hole.

Good Luck

5. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

cool. It's melting out in the shop right now, I looked it over and it seems it is leaking at the quick connect for the right side ram, and the top of the lift ram as well. I'm gonna get a new hose, coupler, and see how I replace the gasket at the top of the ram. Also Need a C valve and maybe solenoid, but its not as big a rush

6. haulin87

haulin87 Junior Member

Probably just your quick connectors. The fluid you see on top of the lift ram is more than likely coming out of the fill/vent when its sucking air into the system and you drop the blade it blows it back out. Before you go draining the whole system again replace your couplers and and check for any other leaks in the warm shop. Clean it up real good get all the air out and make sure your fluid is topped. After you've eliminated all leaks then proceed to a good flush and fresh fluid. All that fluid and flush is expensive to do over and over again. Last meyer fluid i bought was over $13 a quart.
    Oh yeah, hoses are cheap if yours look suspect and make sure if you are replacing the connectors at the pump to get the right ones, they have an o-ring seal.

7. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

haulin- you prob just saved me some coin... payup

I will be bringing all the parts to the dealer to compare before buying, so it should not be an issue. I'll make sure I get the right ones (and if they are cheap, I'll just replace both of em. I'd feel like a dick if the other one blew)

Thanks!

8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Being that you are going to the dealer, you should probably get an extra set. Now I have read on Plow Site that some couplers are bad right out of the box, Now to be fair I don't remember if they were after market or Factory parts.

9. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

Update:

Went to the JD Dealership (they stock Meyers stuff) with my hoses and couplings and such, The guy there looked them over and said basically 'your couplings are effed' and that they didn't have those couplings in stock. But instead, he built me new hoses without quick connects on them, which means they don't come off as easy (which doesn't matter because the headgear comes off with the plow) but aren't going to leak (and I have them now) This also eliminates any chance of a bad coupler!

Tossed them on, topped off the fluid and bled the system. It bled really quick because it is not sucking air at the connectors. (woot!)

I went to the car wash and hosed her down, not it's going into the heated shop to dry/melt. Then I'm leaving it outside overnight to see if it freezes up again. I guess I won't really know til I get out a few times and see if it acts up again. I'm going to flush the system again and put meyers fluid in it when the dealer gets more in again. (western in it now)

Fingers crossed... thanks everyone for your help

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

Still have a very small leak somewhere around the pump base, I'll have to check all my connections again. Hasn't gotten air in it yet, that's a bonus.