1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-57 Will not raise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Loganab13, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

My E-57 pump angles left to right perfectly, no problems there. When I press the raise button on the touchpad, the plow angles to the left, then trips the "overload" light on the touchpad. The B coil does not have magnetism, so I'm assuming the coil itself may be bad? Also, if the coil is bad, will I need to buy just the B coil or should I buy the cartridge/coil combo? Thanks!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Swap the b and c coils. press right, does it go up?

3. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

Plow still goes left when B and C coils are swapped. Overload light still comes on and plow will not move until the touchpad is turned off then on again. I'll check to make sure I'm getting 12 volts to the B coil in the morning. Hoping its something simple like a coil, 6+" coming in Saturday..

4. kimber750

You switched the coils, not the wiring? This makes up on the control right on the plow. And right on control will be up. Trying to decided if you have a bad coil or wiring/control problem.

5. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

That may be my problem. I just ran outside and swapped the red and green wires to see what would happen. So basically I need to swap the coils themselves, then see if the plow will raise?

6. kimber750

Correct. Left is default on Meyer pumps, meaning if no valve is activated the plow will go left. Now if the desired valve, coil or signal is not being sent to the valve/coil the plow will go left. Since you said it angles perfectly then I know the control and valve/coil are working correctly. Now If it goes up after you swap the coils, leaving wiring alone, we know the valve is working. After this test before returning coils back to correct placement swap the wires for the coils. If it goes up with up on the control, the control is good and C coil is bad.

7. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

I'll try that tomorrow. Only challenge is getting coils swapped.. who knows if they are swollen or not. $20 for a coil isn't too bad, but $90 if happen to break a cartridge is a lot worse.

8. kimber750

If you don't want to swap coils you can check for magnetism and power at each coil.

9. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

A and C both have magnetism. B is the only one that does not. That is why I figured I would check for 12 volts at the connection between the harness and coil itself. If there is current when the raise button is pressed, that should rule out a wiring or touchpad issue, correct?

10. kimber750

Yes, it should. But swapping red and green wires should make up on control go right on the plow to confirm wiring and control are working.

11. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

Awesome, thank you. I'll be sure to swap wires again tomorrow and try everything out again. Just to confirm, If i swap red and green wires, then the C coil is bad, not the B?

12. kimber750

C is right. B is up.

13. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

Sounds good. I really appreciate it.

14. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

Glad it was a simple fix. The red wire in the harness had a broken connector that I did not notice before. Everything works now!