1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-50 pump problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Dave Smith, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Junior Member

I have aquired a used E-50 pump wich has a broken cap on top of the hyd.cyl.Person I got it from says this is second one to break.Seems to be caused by over extension of ram.I've been unable to find anything on this problem.Also can't find much on E-50 pump but it looks to be same as E-60.1992 Vintage?Any info on my Problem or E-50 would be a great help.I want to fix it correctly.Thanks
  2. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

Dave the top being broken is caused by one of two issues, either the pressure setting is set to high or the moldboard is broke over backwards and it hits the lift arm as you stack snow.

Probelm #1 to check:

When the E60 was designed, Fenner Stone designed it with a relief that is capable of 5000 psi, which is just to much for the aluminum casting design. A problem that unit had in the era that yours is, that undernieth the relief ball is a seat that is thread into the base. This seat would come loose allowing oil to fill in under the ball casuing the relief pressure to build. You need to remove the relief and check that seat, it needs to be torqued to 100 inch punds and then the reilef reset to 2500 psi (Meyer Service Bulletin # 159, I can get you a copy of that if you would like).

Problem #2 to check:
    If the stops on the sector the moldboard rests on are worn down, this will casue the moldboard to start leaning back towards the truck. If your top edge of the moldboard is standing completely vertical or leaning towards the truck, the trip springs will all be loose, as this is a good indication that the stops are worn down to much. The stops will need to be rebuilt back up to make the moldboard tilt back forward of center.

Hope this helps,
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  3. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Junior Member

E-50 problem

Thanks Mike, I'll check the things you mentioned.Dave
  4. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Junior Member

E-50 problem

After prying it out of former owner I found out he pulled pressure adjustment out trying to find place to add fluid .He then tightened all the way down.There should be a law against some people even owning tools.Thanks for your advice.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some people are just too stupid to own plow trucks!!!
    That's why things come with manuals, read them they will give you the info!!
  6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

high pressure setting

Some people think pressure is speed. Higher the pressure the faster the plow will operate. All this does is destroy parts. The electrical system also takes a hit as you demand more current to operate the plow.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like Skyking mentioned, pressure doesn't equal speed. Pressure= hydraulic force. Fluid volume/piston diameter= speed. Very common misconception, and the cause of many broken top caps on Meyer pumps.