1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice
  1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Fluid is leaking out of the top wiper seal Any suggestions? New seal. Water is getting in and freezing.Dropped fluid and cleaned everything. I hope it is ok. Maybe i need a new ram?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The top wiper seals job is only to prevent outside contaminants from getting in, it doesn't seal the fluid from escaping. Thats the job of the wiper ring in the bottom of the top cap. Looks like a big plastic O-ring. Probably worn beyond it's service life.

3. milwaukeevtwin

O ring

Is this the part at the bottom of the ram that a nut is holding it on? It looks like three parts, but i can not get it apart. It looks like three pieces. A plastic piece, a brass piece and a half moon o ring? How does this come apart? Is this what you are talking about?

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

No, he is talking about the seal in the top housing of the ram....The seal you are talking about is a cup seal, I think you call it. That nut comes off and the seal is in between those 2 brass (I think) pieces. It is the main seal for lifting.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Pop the top cap off and flip it over. The first plastic O-ring you see in the top cap is the ram wiper O-ring. It's job is to strip the fluid from the ram as it extends. If it doesn't do it's job then the fluid escapes though the exterior wiper seal.

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

This diagram shows it...its an E-60 diagram, but the idea is the same....the red circle with the arrow is the cup seal....the other red circle is what he was talking about

meyer.jpg

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

#19 in the diagram.

8. milwaukeevtwin

The cap is new with the wiper seal in it. Are you talking about #13? In the diagram below?
    This is driving me nuts. I just want it to stop leaking. There is a large o ring under the cap that seals to the bottom of the cap. I will pull it back apart tomorrow. Thanks, Guys.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No #13 is the guide bushing. The wiper's right below it.

10. milwaukeevtwin

I ordered a new ram and all the parts that go on it. I tore it all down and then put it back together. So far so good. We will see how good it works next snow fall. I purchased an e-60 on ebay yesterday for 415.00. I will go through that when i get a chance and make the e-47 my back up. Thanks, Guy's