1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 working now nothing

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by noobie269, Jan 5, 2015.

1. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

E-47 was working now nothing, no side to side or up or down. I can hear the solnoid engaging under the hood but still no worky. Has fluid in pump. Died right in the middle of a job.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have some push up while you hit motor with hammer lightly. Also can test output side of solenoid for power while someone else operates plow control with test light.

3. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

My buddy was tapping the coils as i was hitting the up lever. Nothin. Didnt try the motor on the pump though. What are the chances the motor on the pump took a dump?

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my bet is a bad ground.
    use a test light instead of a hammer. test light tells you if you have power. hammer breaks things.

5. kimber750

Is motor spinning?

Hammer could possibly get you home without short chaining, most likely a test light won't. Also very common practice to tap motor with a hammer. Not to mention that hammer test is much quicker.

6. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

Actually new update. It works, just very slow and angry sounding and then it'll stop working... Air in the system or fluid problem?

7. kimber750

Run jumper cables from battery out to the pump. This will tell if it a motor/pump problem or a wiring problem.

8. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

Turns out the pump was frozen. Unthawed it and drained fluid and cleaned filters. Didnt last long though as this morning around 3am it froze up on me again. Anybody have any tips on how to figure out where moisture is getting in??

9. kimber750

Common places for water to get in is top wiper seal, ram packing and reusing the nytite washers.

10. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

Yeah I noticed today its leaking out of the top seal and running down. Anything else I should do when I replace the seal? My buddy has a seal kit left over from one of his E-47 he didn't use so I'm gonna buy that.

11. kimber750

Unused kit? Pump shaft seal is another place to check. My biggest gripe is people reusing the nytite washers. They never seal properly when reused.

12. noobie269

noobie269 Junior Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure its a unused kit. Ill have to look into those issues, everything else seems to work just besides the moisture..

13. kimber750

If you are gonna pull it apart might as well do the entire pump. Download the service manual and read it, then read it again. Clean everything real well. And be sure to flush out rams and hoses.

14. tjctransport

and a very common after effect of hitting the motor with a hammer is breaking, or dislodging the magnets from the case, ruining the motor if it was still good.

15. plowsteve

plowsteve Junior Member

+1. Permanent magnet motors don't respond well to the hammer

16. kimber750

Haven't broke one yet. But if you wish not to do it that is fine. Besides no one is saying break out the ten pound sledge and go to town, I said tap it lightly. So if you guys want to preach the hitting a motor with a hammer have at it. Would be willing to bet you have done it at one point or another, whether it was a plow motor or a car starter. :salute:

17. tjctransport

nope, never did it Kimber, because i have seen so many come into the shop busted after the driver said" i hit it with a hammer to get it started one last time"

18. kimber750

Guessing you are in the minority. :mechanic: Had an old Jeep that hitting starter was the only way to get it to crank, was this way for months until finally got around to putting starter in. But I will say once a motor gets to the point it needs persuasion to get going it is time to replace it anyway.

I beat on gas tanks also with a hammer, whats your feeling on this.:laughing:

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

A driver isn't a tech.....And if the magnets fall off due to hitting it, they were on the verge of falling off anyway imo

20. tjctransport

that is a different story.
    smacking the bottom of the gas tank is the only way to get the in tank electric pump started, ain't it??:D