1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 working hard

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by stretch5881, Sep 23, 2012.

1. stretch5881

stretch5881 Junior Member

Good morning all,
    I'm getting my Dad's truck ready for winter and ran into a problem with the plow. Last year it started raising so slow and the motor was working so hard that it would take a fresh battery down within the first 10 minutes of plowing.. It is an E-47. We have flushed the pump and the rams, cleaned the screens, put fresh SAM oil in it, cleaned and tightened power and ground wires. No change. Side to side is good, down is a little fast, but it goes up very slow and the motor grunts hard.
    Do I need a new motor or need to rebuild the pump?
    Any direction would be great.

2. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Look at the crossover valve on the side of the PA block for a broken spring (very common) or test the B coil for proper magnetism. If the valve and the coil look good check for the B valve for cracked or bad o-rings.

3. stretch5881

I checked all the above today, it all checks out. Then upon closer inspection, I couldn't see any numbers or markings on the motor. I would guess an aftermarket. I'm ordering an oem now whether that's the problem or not.
    Thank you RAM for the help so far.

4. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Does the motor turn freely or is the shaft hard to turn? It is good to have a spare for a 47 anyway.

5. stretch5881

Motor turns free.

6. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Alright does the pump turn too without a problem?

7. stretch5881

Yes.
    I see a genuine oem motor is hard to find.

8. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Yes it is, I have only bought afrermarket. When I used my 47 every year it would last a few years without problems. Some aftermarkets come with a warranty.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the B valve for clogging, the lift ram for straightness. throw a preesure gage to the right angle coupler and se how much pressure it has, check the power supply and ground wires for amp loss.

Does it angle easily when the blade is on the ground?

10. stretch5881

B valve is nice and clean, lift cylinder is straight and I will check the pressure this weekend when I change the motor. I made new cables 2 years ago. Very heavy.
    Not so easy when on the ground.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Points to the pump, they angle easy in the air, on the ground rit equires a little more pressure:D

12. stretch5881

Woohoo!!! It was the weak chinese motor. I put a MADE IN USA motor on and it works almost like it did in 1983.
    Thanks for your help troubleshooting. You guys rock.