1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 wont raise

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Nov 27, 2010.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

I have a truck that was given to me, sat for 7 yrs. E-47 plow, motor runs but won't lift. Replaced A solenoid because wire broke off, so that's new. Took off both B and C valves and all appears ok. Did get magnetism on B, but C seemed weak. A did have magnetism. Replaced almost all seals inside, cleaned entire pump out, all screens, etc.

Not sure what to do next.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You changed the A coil because the wire was broken off, did you replace the A valve itself also? A broken coil wire won't prevent it from raising but a stuck A valve will.

However if it's new also then it's time for a pump PSI test.

3. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 plow

Yes, correct, I didnt get the A valve out. The B and C valves appear ok, but, they may not be. Is there a test I can do off the unit? If I run 12V to the solenoid with the valve inside, does it click or can I tell if its functioning ? Can I eyeball test it? Does it move up and down inside the coil?

And, where do I get a tool/socket long enough to get the valves out?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can pull the valve and coils from the unit, reassemble them and run a couple jumper wires to them to check for proper operation. You should hear a distinct click when power is applied but more importantly watch the spool in the bottom of the valve, should see it move. They don't move much so you have to watch closely.

Most any parts or tool store will have the deep well sockets needed to extract the valves.

5. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 checking valves

If I take the coil and valve off, and take that single coil wire and touch it to 12v, I have to have the body of the coil grounded, right? You cant just touch it to the battery term, correct?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Coil body must be grounded and then a 12V source supplied to the lead wire.

7. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 valves

And if I do that and then the valve moves, and I take power off, does it snap back to its original position immediately, if it is a properly working valve?

I took my B valve off, did that, it moved, then, when I took power off, it remained where it was, and now, won't move at all when reapplying 12v to it...

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they should return to their non energized position once power is removed. Sounds like you need a valve or two. :nod:

9. eriklane

eriklane Member

valves

Ok, did it right-used the ground cable on the plow, took both B and C valve/coils off to test. Both click loudly. C valve does move internally-I can see it. B valve clicks just like C, but, I see no movement. It is built a little diff than the C valve. I cant get the A valve off-will get a deep well tomorrow to remove it and test.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the internal spool doesn't move in the B valve replace it. B valve is the raise valve. :nod:

11. eriklane

eriklane Member

Plow etc

Oh, really? Somehow I thought A was raise...nothing moved on the B at all. Hmm..Ok.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No sir. A is the lower valve, B is raise, C is right angle, and running the motor with no valves at all energized is left angle.

Get the B valve changed out and see how it goes. :salute:

13. eriklane

eriklane Member

plow info

AWESOME. Thanks for your help.