1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 won't move

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by machinekiller, Nov 29, 2008.

1. machinekiller

machinekiller Junior Member

Meyer E-47 worked fine last year. I hooked it up for the season to find that the hydraulics weren't working at all, although the motor runs and seems to be trying to move the plow. The left angling cylinder has rusted through and was leaking, so I replaced it along with the hose. Now the blade will retract all the way to the left. The right still won't work and it won't lift. It's holding fluid but I'm not sure if the system needs to be bled and I don't know how to do that. The manual isn't much help. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

2. sno&go

sno&go Member

Your right side angle cylinder may be rusted to the point that it won't move under any amount of pressure. Try bypassing both cylinders and just run the motor to see if it will lift.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it wont angle right OR lift you have an electrical issue, not a hydraulic issue.

Do a search here in the Meyer forum. Use "magnetism" as your search word and you'll find the procedures and solutions on how to diagnose as well as repair the issue.

4. machinekiller

I'm starting the think that maybe it is electrical rather than hydraulic. Here's what's happening right now: After replacing the left angling cylinder and hose, the blade will angle to the left only, and will not raise. Fluid level is where it should be. The motor makes noise in all switch positions, like it is trying to make it work, but nothing moves.

5. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Check and make sure that your valves and coils are working. It sounds like you have a bad C valve. That's what makes it angle. Make sure your connectors are clean and making good contact.

6. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

when I have problems with one of our meyers acting up like that, I'll just take a jumper wire, and jump straight from the battery to the B (raise) or C(right) coils to see what they do. if it functions with it "hot wired", then it's a wiring issue. if it still doesn't work that way, then ya know it's a coil and/or valve problem....

7. machinekiller

exactly what I did. At first, I thought that somehow the wiring had gotten switched around, because when I hit the "lift" switch, it angled left. Then I read that it will do that because that is the default direction of the fluid if the coils aren't working correctly to send the fluid the other way. Well, I took the suggestion of driving up to a good, solid looking tree and jamming the right side of the blade until it angled right. That seemed to loosen things up. Now, I had it raising and angling both ways, but not lowering, a bad A coil. Indeed, upon removal, the wire was so rotten that it just crumbled in my hands. A trip to the local tractor supply store and I had a new A solenoid. So, now I have replaced the left angling cylinder, the left hose, the reservoir cap, and the A solenoid. Everything works! Let it snow! Of course, now it's 50 degrees outside, so I don't know why I bothered. :confused:

8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Still has to be a reason it was "stuck". I would check that other cylinder out. You don't want it failing when you need it most. That said, I have used the tree trick too on my old Fisher.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

at the onset of the season, when i put the plows on the trucks, i leave the angle cylinders hooked to each other and work the plow back and forth 4-5 times to equalize the air/fluid in each cylinder. then i hook the angle cylinders up to the pump and check everything out.

since i started doing hookups this way, i have never had any angle problems.