1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 wont lift again

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Dec 13, 2010.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

New B valve, and A coil. Motor runs, full of fluid, clean filters, but no lifting.
    Took B valve out, clicks nicely when powered. Took A valve out, clicks quieter than B...Could it be that the A is sticking open somewhat and thus, now allowing raising since A is the lowering valve?

Also, I forget, does lowering it make the motor run?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The A valves are more quiet than the others since they're physically smaller so that's normal but it is possible it's not fully closing in the non-energized position. You can try removing and cleaning it while stroking it's internal spool to fee it up but ultimately they need replaced anyway to be reliable.

No motor operation is needed in order to lower, it's all done via gravity.

3. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 problems

It almost seems like its limiting out-as if the motor doesn't run fast enough, hard to describe.very frustrating.

4. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 wont lift

I am wondering how to find the pressure relief valve, and how to check it, and also, where does one get a pressure valve and where do you hook it to check pressure? On the top where you fill the fluid?

(first time plow owner)

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What does it do when it won't raise? Angle left perhaps, or just does nothing?

6. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47 wont lift

The motor runs, but it sounds like its limited almost...when it had worked, it really runs fast, strong. And I took the B coil off and it clicks nicely..I'd just wondered if the A valve was open thus not allowing the pressure to build, but I'm no geek on this.

It just runs at what sounds like 50% speed...I did order a new brush/cap for another motor I have and maybe this motor is tired out.? When I get that I intend to swap it out and try.

I did take this motor off and the shaft turns fine.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it doesn't move at all in any direction? Will it angle when either angle function is pressed? Your reply didn't specifically answer.

Sure it's possible the A valve is stuck open. Easy enough to pull it out and psychically work it with a screwdriver.

8. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 wont lift

Today, I took my C solenoid off and put it on the new B valve. No lift.I get magnetism on all but, A is strongest since it's new. I had taken the B off and gotten a nice loud click despite the fact that it seems to be the weakest magnetically when I hit the UP...
    SO, that lends me to believe that the A is not closing, and according to my diagram, if it was not closed, fluid would just make a round trip through the system.

I will order a new A valve.

9. eriklane

eriklane Member

A valve

I took the A valve off again, and, hooked it up to the battery. It makes just a small sound. Now, as I look at it, it's got small holes and a filter around that. So, its just to let fluid flow for lowering...Sounds like it may be ok? There's no big click, but a small sound, and I can move the piston in and out if I press on the end of it.

Broke?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it raise without the chain attached?

11. eriklane

eriklane Member

E-47 plow

Nope...I have to say it sounds like the motor is limiting out. I took that apart also, brushes are fine, turns fine...remember, this truck sat 7 yrs...When it did work 2 wks ago, it ran like a maniac, now, it sounds like it's running 50% of that. But if the A is stuck open, could that be the lack of pressure buildup causing the sound to be much different?

New charged battery also...and the lights do dim when I lift it.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And what does it sound like when angled in both directions?

13. eriklane

eriklane Member

Meyer e-47

It sounds the same, no diff. I put the C solenoid on the B, just to check it, and still, no lift, and B is new...woops, B valve is new and A solenoid new also.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What I was referring to is WILL it angle in both directions?

15. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47

It was working left,right, up, down, but I only checked it a few times..no snow here to test...so, then we got snow and I went to use it and it was fine until it wasn't...took the B filter out and it had whitish stuff in it, I cleaned it out and then it worked fine, then, stopped lifting again...same, cleaned, worked, then stopped. Now, filters all clean.

I'd wondered if the inside screen was gunked up. But, as I say, I'd taken the entire thing apart and drained all fluids, and replaced most seals/rings.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you flush the angle cylinders out also when you disassembled the pump and cleaned it out? If not then that's likely the root issue, it has ice in it.

17. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47

I took off the couplers, and then drained out the fluid in early Nov when it was warm, and added all new fluids...fluid in the pump is 1.5" below top...

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was that when I had the entire thing apart, I noticed the piston by the B valve and wondered if it should move or come out, and I could not get it out, but, didn't try real hard. Is it possible that is stuck?

If you want to call, its 616 874 1215 sunday after 11 am EST would be great...or any day after 5pm EST.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pilot piston you're referring to definitely needs addressed, as yes it needs to move smoothly for the angle functions to work correctly although it would in no way affect it's ability to raise.

Since you're certain the system is clean then it's time to at least get a pressure gauge on it as I suspect a worn gear pump combined with the weak motor is the issue. These pumps will work ok with a worn gear pump but not if the motor isn't working at 100%. Perhaps with a fresh motor you can nurse a possible weak pump along for some time but to know it's true condition you need to get a pressure gauge on it first.

This is also assuming all your electrical connections are in good shape including the contact base between the motor and the pump, which must be very clean since it's how the motor is grounded.

19. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47

Well, I have a spare motor also, and just put a new brush head/cap on that one, but, when powered, it makes funny noises, but does turn. The one on the truck turns freely when hooked to 12v. There's so little to these-magnets/stator and the brushes/cap. Hard to imagine one going bad...The gears I did inspect and are all in great condition.

Where is the gear pump and where do I hook the pressure gauge?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need a NEW motor. You can clean and replace individual components inside it all you want but you'll still need a new motor.

The gear pump is the housing that the motor attaches to.on the side of the sump base. It's non servicable so if there's an issue with it you simply remove it as an assembly from the sump base and replace it as a whole.

To check the pressure simply tee a 2000 PSI minimum gauge into the curb side angle hose and angle the plow to the left and monitor pump press once it's running against the relief. If it's less than 1700 PSI it needs the releif checked and adjusted or the gear pump replaced if it won't develope the required PSI after a relief valve adjustment.

But I suspect a new motor will help it considerably even if the pump is worn.