1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 Valve Trouble??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Marchon, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Marchon

Marchon Junior Member

My E-47 sporadically moves to the left, when the lever selects the right.
    Moves to the right, when the lever selects the left. It also moves to the correct left on left and right on right.
    But the biggest problem is when I float the plow, reach the end of the push, and it will not raise up. I found a work around in desperation for my last few plowings last year, that involved jiggling all the switches left-right and up-down aiming mostly at getting the up. This got me unstuck.

A dealer selling me the truck (1990 Ram 1/2 ton) and plow just before snow season last year, had just put in a new selenoid, and claims to have refilled the fluid twice (bought "as is", I am on my own).

I am led to believe that the problem now is valve sticking.

Does this mean the so called cross over valve listed on www.angelos-supplies.com part 37 or 38. Can I remove these and spray them with wd40 and work them looser? or is this an issue of being with leaking. Any warnings?

The problem went from not too bad, to serious last year.
    Reached the point where it would not respond at all quite frequently. Does that indicate the pump is going out?
    Any servicing advised, in the absence of funds for replacement?

My 1st year ever with a plow, and with no funds to pay for help.

I do not know which bolt is the one for checking fluid.
    Any one care to descibe which it is?
    I assume, opening this, will not allow the fluid to leak out, or that I should park the vehicle up hill 1st?

Is there a particularly useful trouble shooting web site, picture and commentary that can be referred?

Thank You
  2. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Just off the top of my head, it sounds like a electrical problem. I assume that the pump motor runs when u push the switches. Do u have a joystick or 2 single switches? I would check all of your connections also. From battery to seleniods. Your quick connectors to your angling rams maybe bad. This could cause u to not be able to angle. Your going to have to find some funds some where to fix these problems. If I where u I would buy a new wire harness for the pump and a new (either) joystick or 2 switch setup. That would help trouble shoot those areas. Check out www.snowplowing-contractors.com for a lot of meyers info
  3. long0

long0 Senior Member

I agree with Brimow, check your electrical wiring.

Is your solenoid clicking when you are moving your controls. If it is not clicking, it could just be a matter of a bad ground at the solenoid.

4. mrshep68

mrshep68 Junior Member

Sounds like a wireing issue, check connection of the green wire on back of angle switches and check the connection of the green wire to the coil.

The problem also could be o-rings or dirt in the c-valve.
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Am I the only one who read this line? If a guy doesn't know *how* to check the fluid I'd bet he *hasn't* checked the fluid. That would be the first thing I'd do, even given the probability of an electrical problem. (Especially if the dealer claims to have refilled it twice.)

Marchon, standing facing the truck, there's a hex shaped plug on top of your pump, just to the left of the lift cylinder rod. That's where the fluid goes in. Make sure the plow is all the way down before you fill it--otherwise when you lower the plow you'll blow fluid out of the little vent hole. (Voice of experience.)

Once you're sure your fluid is at the proper level, when it still doesn't work, then start messing with wiring, and valves. The other guys who replied have made valid suggestions.
  6. long0

long0 Senior Member

I missed it completly. :eek: Gonna have to start reading much more carefully. Anyhow, I think you've got it pinned with checking the fluid level first, and them moving on.

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Meyer power unit

Marchon if the fluid is okay check or have someone check the power source connection that "goes" to the plow switch. Be sure your getting battery voltage at the switch, if your not getting enough voltage the plow may only angle left due to the fact that there is only enough current available to operate the motor solenoid. ( Your plow will angle left if the pump motor runs and there is no current supplied to the coil wires on the power unit) I would check this out after reading that you had trouble last year and that you had the plow move left when you had moved the switch to right and lift, and that jiggling the wires got you going again. :rolleyes: John
  8. Marchon

Marchon Junior Member

I really appreciate all your good advice

I was afraid I would blow you out of the water with the oil check plug uncertainty. But , given the sporadic nature, sometimes working all right, I had doubted the oil level as the issue. But, as soon as this snow stops, I will check that first thing. As I understand it, with the lift all the way down, 1 to 1 1/2 inch void is a proper fill height.

This raises the question (though not the plow), knowing not what fluid the dealer used, can I mix any quality, low viscosity hydrolic fluid rated to at least 40 below. I am assuming yes. Though I might just flush the whole system. I read where some flush with kerosene. But have been told that kerosene leaves a wax residue (to be avoided), and was advised to flush with a cheap hydrolic fluid of low viscosity. Hope that makes sense?

I plan to do a thorough electrical inspection. This is logical.
    Any advise on where I can find an electrical schematic. More particularly, how is the selonoid under the hood supposed to be wired?

But considering another possibility, if the electical is not the answer, and for educational value,
    would someone describe the nature of a dirty valve. Are we talking about failure to open or failure to close? I assume here that we are talking about the valves under the B and C solenoids.
    Perhaps someone might be willing to explain where the crossover valves figure into the function?

I am clear that with the pump motor running only, fluid will shoot under the lift ram to the valve block and directly out to the passenger side ram, thus angling the plow left. Correct me if I have that wrong. So if the C valve opens, does that then take priority, and shoot the fluid to the drivers ram, and thus angle it right?
    So if some crude keeps the valve from seating, or closing then would not fluid flow favor going to the right with a stuck C valve?

And again, where does the crossover valve fit into this function?

Should the quick connect hose, hard plumbed to the pump, connect to the drivers side Ram?

I am still trying to figure why all my errors are angling right, while all other info says, these plows should error to the left. Thought maybe the hoses were backwards.

Thank You,
  9. Marchon

Marchon Junior Member

Regarding checking battery power to the angling switch, (separate from the lift switch in my truck), as I recall at last look, there is a black harness fusing all wires as one plug into two sepate switches. To the angling switch are 6 female plugs and on the back of the switch 6 spades as 2 rows of 3 spades. (such is my memory- could be wrong, but I assume it is the standard equip for this plow.)

I assume the center spades are from the battery. How would I know with a meter, that these where of a most direct route from the battery, ie maximum amperage? I assume, the reference is for an eyeball search that this wire comes direct from the battery?

I assume the left side of this switch goes to the motor, and the right side goes to the motor and the C valve.

The Lift switch harness had an offset spade as well, (so I vaguely recall, though I might be wrong. )

How are these to be wired?

10. Marchon

Marchon Junior Member