1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 troubles. HELP

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cbeard, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I rebuilt a E-47 and finally got it installed on the truck yesterday. So today I replaced the oil in the rams on the blade so to have fresh fluid through the whole system. When I hooked the plow up and raised the pump went up and slowly drifted down halfway and stopped. When raising the plow it seems slow and as the pump cylinder extends it seems to get slower. At one point while testing I could use my own weight 200# and stop the cylinder from raising. When angling the blade from side to side I can also stop the blade using my own strength. I think my troubles are air in the pump and angle cylinders. Am I right or is there someting I'm missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW a local meyers shop tested the motor and everything was OK. Fluid level is also where it should be.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Sounds like you have air in the system or the top seal is bad. Did you recheck the fluid level after it dropped down?

3. cbeard

cbeard Member

Fluid level Ok

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

how bad was the tube the ram cup ride's in any pitting ? air maybe how did it work before ?check the pressure.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as the lift cylinder was good (like wild bill said) when you had it apart and the pump pressure is set at 1700 psi or so...then it still has air in it. Let it set over night and recheck the fluid level. Top it off if needed and retest it.

6. cbeard

cbeard Member

When I had the pump apart everything apeared OK. What are you guys referring to when you say the pump cup. When I rebuilt the pump I didn't take out the crossover relief valve because I knew I needed a set of guages to set the pressure. Where might I find a set of guages so I can Check the pressures?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The "cup" is the packing cup on the bottom of the lift ram. It's use is more if a combination piston AND seal in a Meyer application, rather than most hydro systems that use an actual metal piston with a O-ring around the outside to form the seal between the piston and the cylinder.
    The cross over is for the angle relief setting. The actual pump pressure relief valve that controls the pump output pressure is on the rear of the pump. It usually has an acorn nut on the end. Did you have it apart? If so, then you need to reset the press before you do anything else.

You can get a low cost gage from Grainger for around $20 to check it.

The fact that it dropped part way after you raised it isn't related to the pump press though..that's either an air or ram/ packing cup problem.

8. cbeard

cbeard Member

I didn't have the pump pressure relief valve apart either. I am pretty sure that I put a new packing cup on the ram. When I get my guage where do I check the pressures? At the angle connection on the pump side? Thanks you to all who have posted Great Information!

Chris

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea you want tee the gage in on an angle hose. You can use a female tee fitting from the hardware store and install a male and female quick coupler on the tee, along with your press gage. Makes it real nice for doing a quick press test. Since you didn't touch the press valve though, more than likely it just has some air in it as far as being able to move the blade side to side and possibly the drop issue also.

10. cbeard

cbeard Member

Ordering my guage today. The pressure I will be reading is the pump pressure correct. I also found that I have a angle cylinder leaking. Could this be letting air into the system. What is the easiest way to get the air out? I did a search and read to get the truck going down hill and work the blade. Will this do the trick?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, you'll be reading pump press in the angle hose. A leaky angle cylinder isn't a problem of letting air in as it is allowing water in...which of course you know isn't good so I'd recommend fixing the leak regardless.

You can use the "down hill" method to purge air out, as it works well. If it has a ton of air in it and you work it too much you'll aireate the fluid though, so give it time to settle.

If after doing this once or twice it still doesn't work right then something else is wrong as the Meyer stuff isn't hard to get the air out of.

12. cbeard

cbeard Member

Well, got my guage put together and checked the pump pressure 500 psi. So I replaced the pump. Put the pump on the truck raised the plow and guess what. Plow still leaks down. I have checked all the valve all work and are OK. All O-rings and packing cup OK. I did have some fluid leaking from between the PA block and the base. I tightened up the cap screws and that seemed to stop the leak. Still the plow creeps down. What are the little balls on the side of the PA do? I think some fluid may be leaking from 1 of the 3 . Now what?

Chris

13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

o-ring

it's possible when you put the pump together you cut or crimped the o-ring at the bottom of the tube that the lift ram travels in, if it is you can pressurize the tank and aerate the oil in the tank.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you had the packing cup assembly apart to change the packing seal, did you also replace the O-ring on the bottom of the lift rod that seals the brass packing assembly/packing cup to the rod?

Is the check ball under the B valve in good shape? No grooves or flat spots that would prevent it from seating against the B valve?

Is the seat on the bottom of the B valve that the ball seats against in good shape?

Any of these will cause it to leak down.

Just disassembling a pump unit and replacing some O-rings wont always fix them if you not sure what else to look for.

15. cbeard

cbeard Member

I finally broke down and took it to a Meyer dealer. They replaced the O ring in the bottom of the sump base. When I reassembeled the pump I must have forgotten or lost the check ball between either the pump or PA block they also replaced the ball. Reinstalled the pump with plow on the truck. Everything works however When the plow in all the way up it still slowly leaks down. I am going to take the plow, pump, and truck to the Meyer repair shop tomorrow. I will let everyone know what they find.

16. cbeard

cbeard Member

Got my pump back yesterday from the Meyers repair shop. Shop replaced the PA block and everything is good to go. Now I will have to wait for some snow. Thanks for everyone ino.