1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 Stuck Left

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Randy26933, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

I've read a lot of threads and think I have a bead on my stuck left thing.

First the backstory. Put the plow on and it worked fine. Then it snowed. After about the fourth pass when I went to angle to the right the blade went left, and stayed there.

I had a bad feeling about a coupler and changed it. No help.

I went to change the C Coil and it was seized to the valve body. I had to unscew the solenoid, valve and all, and put it in a vice to tap the solenoid off the valve body. The new C coil slipped right on the old valve body.

Put the valve body and C coil back on and now when I try to angle right it just jerks like it wants to go, but doesn't.

I THINK I have to change the C valve, right? I have read the flow charts and a lot of posts but have to confess my ignorance in that I have no idea where the cross over valve is. The Meyer flowchart says to clean it or replace it, I do not know where to even look for it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I would remove the C cartridge and slightly push in on the plunger in the end of the cartridge , it should move slightly in and out freely , anything other than that and it will probably need replacment.

TOM

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

May be the valve, bit could also be the coil......If you have no power to the coil, it will go left when you try to do anything. Get someone to hit the angle switch and see if the coil is magnetized.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

has it been like that alkl summer sometimes it need a little push up against the pole

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The valve is shot. The tell tale sign is that the coil was stuck on it... because the valve stem is swollen. Need to get a fresh one on there.

The swollen valve comes from the cross over valve being undersized to do it's job as they have been for years and years. When you strike an object the pressure spike in the hydro system swells the valve since the cross over can't relieve the pressure quick enough. Common to all the Meyer pumps and by no means an isolated case.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Even a worse issue in poorly maintained pumps with rusted springs in the COR. A condition often found in pumps that seem to "eat" C valves regularly

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Just for the heck of it, does Western have this same problem?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nono::nono:

9. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

The coil is new and has magnetism when switched on. I'll take the valve out and check it. I would just replace it if I was sure that was the problem. But it was swelled as B&B noted.

Still do not know where the cross over valve is. And how do you clean it? Now whats a COR, Basher? I'll have to search that term now.

As far as maintenance, I follow the steps I've read on plowsite. ANY help you guys give me is appreciated.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

COR...Cross Over Relief

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Replace the C valve before you touch the cross over. It's swelled so it needs replaced regardless.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod: :nod:

13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I know little or nothing about Meyer plows except for what I have learned on Plow Site, but I do own one and want to learn more if I can do it without offending anyone.. Do other manafactures have the same kind of system? If they do, do they have the same undersized hole in the cross over relief valve? If it is just the hole being too small, can't you make it bigger?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No just making it bigger is not an option.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I kind of thought so or it would have been done by now by somebody in PS.

Thanks

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They use the same system of relieving the pressure but by a different design that actually works without damaging the components that they're supposed to be saving.

Many quick coupler issues can also be traced back to an undersized cross over in addition to the previously mentioned and commonly swelled C valve's. The new one piece cross over's where to be the savior but they didn't help the root cause one bit since the passages in the PA block were never increased along with it. Now they're only useful purpose is that they're easier to change when defective. :rolleyes:

If Meyer wouldn't finally be going to Monarch hydro's I would suggest they make the entire pump unit a one piece design for easier replacement, which many do treat them that way. By carrying a complete spare pump unit in the truck. :D

17. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

Well, it was the C cartridge. And I avoided having to buy one by canniblizing one off of an old assembly. The bolt was broken off the top of the cartridge, so I used another tip I found on this site and soldered some new threads on so that the solenoid attaches properly.

The old C cartridge valve stem still moved, but there must have been internal damage that prevented it from working properly.

In any event it goes up and down, left and right. What more can you ask for?

Thanks for the assistance.