1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47......Stripped plug

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by poncho62, Feb 4, 2007.

1. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Cold out this morning....Plow wouldn't raise, which usually means in my plow, that there is some frozen fluid in the filters. Pulled them out, cleaned them, put them and the plugs back in. One of the plugs won't tighten, stripped. Threads look OK, but it's not the thread in the housing, as the other plug will tighten in that hole. Of course, it' sSunday...so I went to Canadian Tire and got a longer 1/4 NP thread plug. It wont go in...Threads are slightly different. Anyone know what thread that Meyers uses for these plugs? Going to the dealer in the city tomorrow, but was wondering. Will get 2 new plugs and filters.

BTW, my E-47 only has 2 plugs in it, not 3, and it looks like the filters at one time were attached to the plug. The pictures of the new plastic filters that I see are separate. Anyone know about these filters attached to the plugs?

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The guy at the hardware store called them bullets, they are .10 cents a peace, I use lots of die electric grease, but I have only used them this year so I'm not sure how long they will last. Hope this helps!

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

sorry i can't resize if anyone can than please do so!!!!!!!
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Thanks anyways.......but not what I am talking about...I am talking about the hydraulic plugs and filters at the front of my unit........
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

You must be talking about item 36

item 36 (Medium).jpg
  6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Yes...Them's the ones........hope the dealer has them...

If I cant get one tomorrow, I was wondering if a plastic 1/4 plug would work....would it hold the pressure of the hydraulics?....I could run it in there, and it would conform to the housing threads, without messing them up, just until I can get a proper replacement.......

I see the torque caution on the diagram.....I was probably overtightening them.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  7. Whip

Whip Member

Those plugs with the filters are pretty old. There is a replacement kit with a new plug/plastic filter (but a slightly different filter than the curent ones as the "tit" is slightly shorter). The nut is a slightly smaller size than the newer ones also if I remember correctly. That whole pump is pretty old.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The thread's in the plug hole's are not 1/4 in. pipe thread! Their 9/16 O-ring. If you dont have any luck at the dealer (they should have them though) check with a local hydraulic shop for the plug as 9/16 O-ring is very common in the hydraulic industry.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Cool...that sounds encouraging....thanks
  10. bronc069

bronc069 Junior Member
    from ohio

I don't think a plastic plug will hold as there is some where around 1500 PSI on the drain and filter plugs when operating the pump. If you have an older e47 pump the plug maybe 1/2"-18thread with a 5/8 head. If that is the case any Meyer dealer should have the 9/16 plug with a 11/16 head and all you have to do is re-tap the hole to 9/16-18 threads and you should have no problems as i have done that on 2 pumps myself. The drain plug and filter plugs are to be torqued to 75-85 INCH lbs. good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Got the proper plug from the dealer last year...Thanks anyways
  12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I love it. Just incase you didn't get in fixed in the LAST YEAR! :D :D