1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e 47 strainer location...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 'Rude Dog, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

my trusty (usually ...) old meyer e 47 ( prestolite electrical motor) won't lift, after draining and flushing the reservoir with naptha , per the service manual. after following the troubleshooting guide for e 47 won't lift, it mentions cleaning the strainer , but it doesn't mention where it is located- ( I have cleaned both of the filters in kerosene, and blown out , with compressed air. can anyoen explain where the strainer is located ??? Had this pump for 15 plus years, and this is the first thing that I can't figure out on it ...

2. MILLSUPPLY

MILLSUPPLY Junior Member

To get to the strainer you have to disassemble the center section - where ram comes out - and at that point, you may as well put all new seals in the unit.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Won't lift... does it go side to side? If it goes side to side properly, then you're probably looking at the A valve being stuck open, or worse, crack in the housing, or bad piston seal.

If the screen is plugged, it won't go side to side any better than it lifts.

As MILLSUPPLY mentioned, the inlet screen is in the bottom of the pit. I personally wouldn't bother replacing seals if they're still good.

Disconnect the lift arm from the ram, remove the 3 bolts holding down the cover, and gently chisel the lid off the reservoir. Watch the bottom of the reservoir tube to make sure that the lid comes off rather than the whole reservoir, sometimes they like to come apart at the wrong spot, which can be messy if you aren't prepared for it. If your e47 is one of the lucky newer ones with a drain, it would probably be a good idea to drain it first. Once the fluid is all out (either by draining, or pouring it out with the reservoir lid off), you'll see the screen stuck in a hole in the base.

Other things to check; could be a bad crossover valve AND a non-functioning A-valve (fault could be electrical or mechanical).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012