1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E 47 repairs

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by krummelt1, Nov 11, 2008.

1. krummelt1

krummelt1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey guys

I am in the middle of restoring an E47 pump and have run into a couple issures.

First is the crack in the below picture. I am thinking of have it welded back together just so it doesn't leak. Correct me if I am wrong but the crack is in the sump portion so it should NOT see high pressures. This is aluminum correct?

Second is the drain plug. Someone clearly over torqued it at some point and stripped the threads. I am going to run a tap down it (9/16 12 I think) if that doesn't work I am going to helicoil it. Anyone had success with this repair?

Thanks for any help

pic2.jpg

pic 1.jpg

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If your restoring it I assume your going to rip that sucker apart, clean it, replace the seals and O-rings. The smart move would be to replace the base and sump while your at it, as welding will create lots of issues. I'll list a few,

First; Aluminum dissipates heat very quickly, hard not to heat effect the internals.

Second; if it is cracked and been leaking oil you will have porosity issues unless you disassemble it and clean the back side of the crack. the burning oil will "chimney" to the hottest point, your weld puddle.

Third; if you don't disassemble it you will have carbon issues from the burnt oils floating around in the system.

Fourth; the internal pressure build up will create problems as it tries to move the molten metal out of it's way that will be the path of least resistance.

Five; if you need to assume it's aluminum you probably aren't an experienced aluminum TIG welder, as it's obvious. Do you have the equipment and ability to do the job correctly? Do you understand tungsten selection, proper gas and post purge timing and filler alloy selection?

JMO

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A sump base with two strikes against it isn't worth "restoring"...especially if it's something you need to depend on.

A brand new sump base can be had for a little over a C-note..

4. krummelt1

krummelt1 Junior Member
    from Maine

At this time I was not planning on doing a full rebuild but maybe that is a good idea. . .

I was just going to have a buddy of mine who does TIG just tack it back together right on the crack. I am not familiar with TIG but am with MIG. With TIG someone should be able ot fuse that without filler correct? I am thinking three seperate tack should get it done and then I would not have to worry too much about heat.

Any excess Pressure could be vented at the fill right?

How much are the new sumps?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A little over a $100. :waving:

6. krummelt1

krummelt1 Junior Member
    from Maine

How about just some JB weld or something similar, especially since there is no presurre on that portion of the assembly.

The tapped hole should not be a big deal.

I am only going to be doing my own driveway. . .

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Whatever:dizzy: