1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 rebuild

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cbeard, May 2, 2010.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I just completed a E-47 rebuild. New seals, motor, and cleaning. I didn't remove the crossover relief valve though. Went to bench test pump and nothing. Motor runs and solenoids have magnetism, but the ram will not lift. Where do i go from here?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it straining against the motor when you apply 12V? Are you activating the B valve as you power the motor? It won't extend the ram unless you do.

3. cbeard

cbeard Member

I hooked the pump up to a truck and used the controller. I am not completely sure the B valve was operating and I don't think the motor was straining. I did check the solenoids for magnetism and all the coils had that.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the motor didn't sound labored then you want to start there with a pressure gauge since you should hear it deadheading against pump pressure whether the B valve was actually working or not.

Tip: Having a gauge on hand is one of the very basic tools you should have when working with hydraulics as it can and will save you a great deal of hair pulling.

5. cbeard

cbeard Member

I have a pressure guage. Do I just plug into the angle couplers to check the pressure? When I bought the pump it was in not so good condition, but I thought with a little work I could make it into something. The ram was frozen in the inner sleve and had a little rust in it. I had the inner sleve sand blasted and it was not pitted too bad, so I took a gamble and reused the inner sleve and installed a new packing cup.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek:mirror finish is best.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Connect your gauge to the angle port that would go to the passenger side ram and then run the motor. You want to see about 1700 PSI. If it's less then something is up, like you missed an O-ring, a broken pressure relief or the gear pump itself is simply shot.

Blasting the ram cylinder was a bad idea, when they're rusty or pitted you replace them. Otherwise the rough bore will damage the packing cup in no time, so be prepared for a leak down issue later.

8. cbeard

cbeard Member

B&B thanks for the info. I know the pressure relief valve is adjustable but to what pressure. Is the pump pressure also adjustable? If when I sand blasted the ram cylinder or the rust had pitted it would that cause the ram to not lift?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There are two pressure relief valves. One is the PUMP pressure relief, and the other sets the cross over relief for power angle settings so don't confuse the two (which is common practice). The one that regulates actual pump output pressure is the one on the rear of the gear pump housing right below the motor, should have a small acorn nut on the end. That's the one you adjust to set pump pressure once a gauge is installed.

And if it can't be brought up to spec (1700 PSI) by adjusting that then it has one of the problems I mentioned before. Because a good working pump will develop well over 1700 PSI. And it takes virtually no pressure to extend the ram without a load (the blade) on it so something is definitely wrong.

Blasting the cylinder will tear up the packing cup but not immediately, i.e. the very first time you attempt to raise it, so there's something else wrong and those would be the same as I mentioned previously such as an incorrect assembly or a dead pump from the get go. Still need the pressure gauge to diagnose further.

10. cbeard

cbeard Member

Well I checked the pressure and it was at or a little over 1700 psi so I changed the B valve with a known good one and everything works OK. Thanks B&B

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear. Plus you now know the gear pump is healthy and set at the correct pressure so there's no questions now and you'll have a baseline on it's output if a problem should ever arise in the future. :nod: