1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e 47 pump leaking

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dirtmandan2, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

so with only a couple storms to go late last winter my pump goes bad, which takes out the motor. I go to local dealer and purchase a new aftermarket pump and new motor... install both and the pump is locked up, which takes out another motor, i go back to dealer he gives me a meyer pump which i had to pay the diff, in price, and i put on another motor out of my pocket... now this new meyer pump leaks, dealer wont replace, i ***** and he says that I need to call meyer. well apparently I cant call meyer as I cant find a number. now its winter again and am still trying to get dealer to replace, he says that he will call meyer to see if they will replace this, that was a week ago... long story short I beleive that its leaking out of the 4 holes on bottom of pump... ive tried tightening them up to the point where im afraid of breaking them. if dealer wont replace what can I do to stop the leaking, looks loke under the 4 bolts there are just 4 lockwashers, is that right or can i put some kind of sealant on them,,, it leaks constantly whether using it or whether its just sitting.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If fluid is getting out to the bolt holes/threads that clamp the two halves of the pump together, sealing the threads won't fix the issue as the pump pressure is getting by the sealing O-ring that seals the two halves of the pump castings together. Either the O-ring is defective or the pump was improperly machined from the factory...plain and simple. In many cases over tightening the bolts will only compound the problem.

3. dirtmandan2

thanks for replying, im still hoping that the dealer will replace this but if not I guess im going to have to buy another new one...

4. dirtmandan2

B & B if the dealer doesnt replace this im going to switch it over to an e57 am I wrong or Is all I need the e57 pump and the e60 motor?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, you'll just need the E57 gear pump, motor, and of course the pump attaching fasteners (the fasteners are longer for the E57 pump). And a very good upgrade btw.

Once you convert it over to the E57 series you'll wonder why you wanted so long to do so. :nod:

6. dirtmandan2

ive got 2 trucks with the e 60 im expecting the e 57 to run as fast... also I will order the motor with the 2 ground lugs, why are the 2 lugs better? must just help it ground?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The two stud motors help with grounding issues that the single studs had as well as help slow down the electrolysis (corrosion) issues between the pump and the motor since on a single stud motor it's grounded by the contact and mounting bolts between the pump and the motor.

The two stud motors are much less susceptible to it as you have less ground path directly through the mounting points.