1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 pump arm

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by james.j.smith, Dec 28, 2010.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

while preparing for sundays storm I had no plow controls. now today they kinda work I do not have the plow installed but the pivot arm will go up not down and the pump motor engages when i move the stick left.

My question is should I be able to push the arm the chain attaches to down by hand? I've tried while moving the contol stick down and it will not move. If I can get some help I'm going to see if I have power to my soleniods tonight. Since it worked last I've changed the solinoid under the hood and added fluid.

2. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

With the control on for it to go down you should be able to push down on it, all my E47 pumps will anyways.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

put your control in the down/float position, then push down on the arm, you may need to stick a piece of pipe or a prybar in the hole at the end of the arm to get more leverage but it should go down, I've seen them get stuck before. If it doesn't check the C-coil, the one with the black wire, for power and magnetism. that is the valve that will let the plow drop. If it has magnetism then pull and check the valve itself.

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

"A" coil and valve control the down function , not the "C" :)

Check for magnetism at the "A" coil (the small one by itself at the back of the unit) while the controller is in down/float , if no magnetism check for voltage at the black wire leading to the coil , if magnetism is present remove and inspect the cartridge.

You did not mention which controller you have , does it function left and up only, or will right function also ?

TOM

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I got the wire color right, so 1/2 aint bad. Thanks for correcting me, I know it's the A but can't figgure for the life of me why I put C.

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

It's all good , I knew what you meant. :nod:

Sometimes I sausage finger things myself..........:laughing:

TOM

7. james.j.smith

from 19033

I figured it out today, I didn't't have power for some reason at my controller I hooked a temporary line to directly to the battery and I have power to all the solenoids. I'm not sure how this happened but at least i know how to fix it. the wire was spliced into a purple and White wire that I am not getting any power to does anyone know what this wire is?

In troubleshooting I noticed that I have a constant 12V on the small terminal on the plow solenoid under the hood. It will drop to 6V when I try and use the controls. I just replaced this solenoid but this doen't seem right to me. Does anyone know how this solenoid is suppose to operate?

thanks for all your help this site has been extremely helpful, I'm beginning to compare my plow truck to my old boat use it one week and spend the next two weeks working on it. thanks again

8. james.j.smith

from 19033

sorry the wire was purple with a pink stripe

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

OK first you should not have constant power to the small terminal on the celenoid under the hood. that should only be energized when one of the controls are activated. With that wire energized your pump should be running continuously, unless you have a bad ground. That purple wire is either for something else or someone used it to lengthen a wire.

Electro Touch Control

orange = ground
    blue = power to switch w/fuse (from trucks ignition switch)
    white = to selenoid under the hood
    black = A coil (lower)
    red = B coil (raise)
    green = C coil (angle right)

slick stick controls
    black = power to control / fused
    white = to selenoid under hood

the rest are the same black, red, green.

10. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks, the purple wire was what my black wire from the slick stik control was spliced to to provide power for control. I think that it is my turn signal and overdrive wire since the fuse was blown for my turn signals. I disconnected the black wire and I'm going to rewire it this week. Should the black wire be fused and if yes what size fuse?

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yes it should be fused with a 10A inline fuse, and power should be taken from the fuse box, that is hot only with the ignition on.

12. james.j.smith

from 19033

thank you I'll give that a shot this week. Do you know if I can but the motor solenoid from a auto parts store. It looks very similar to a starter solenoid? thanks again

13. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yep, just ask for a ford style starter selenoid with 3 studs, 2 bigger and 1 small. The bracket where it mounts to the fender may be different but it still works the same, there is nothing special about the meyers celenoids except maybe the price.

14. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Sorry there is a big difference in the solenoids. The ford solenoid is not rated for continuous duty, and the Meyer or other plowing solenoids are rated for continuous use. You will burn through the cheap starters solenoids very quickly.

15. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well I have been using them for years with absolutaly no problems. In fact the one on my dads jeep, using an E47, has a selenoid that I took off a ford garden tractor 4 years ago and works with no problem, also used one on a buddies jeep 3 years ago still working, used one on another buddies F-450, 2 years ago still working, want me to continue. I have found that the ford selenoids actually seem to work better and last longer.

16. james.j.smith

from 19033

I'm heading to the parts tore today does anyone know the part number for the solenoid that I should get. Thanks again