1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e-47 plow will not raise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mudrunner, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

so i took apart my pump this past summer, i wanted a thorough cleaning and replace the seals. i followed the meyers book. all went well. put it back on the truck, hooked new hoses, fittings, etc. up. plow angles perfectly. but will not lift and hold more than 80-90lbs. wondering if bleeding the system is my problem? any suggestions?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it angles fine then it isn't an air issue. More like a damaged O-ring on the A valve, a damaged packing cup on the lift ram (or the O-ring under the nut) or leaking O-ring at the base of the lift cylinder.

3. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

k, i did replace all o-rings. one thing i did not know is how tight to torque the nut under the packing cup. i left it loose in worry of it not being able to fit through the cylinder. should you be able to lift the ram by hand?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The nut below the packing cup is to be fully tightened. If not, the packing cup won't do it's job of sealing against the lift cylinder and the O-ring between the packing washer and ram won't be compressed, both causing the exact issue you're experiencing.

5. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

ok, thank you for the help. ill try it in the morning. started to get frustrating. read up on everything, just could not figure it out. thanks again.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

ahhh , those were the days prsport

7. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

k, tighten the nut for the packing cup, double checked the a valve and all was well. went to raise it and now it will raise and hold 190-200lbs. any idea?

8. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

if it angles properly, then it has to be a flaw in the b valve, a valve, pump/ram assembly. right? my problem is i have checked these ereas 4-5 times now and still nothing gives. checked everthing in the book "verry basic". wondering if it would lead me to the pump itself?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get a pressure gage on it now. Knowing the pump pressure is very important to further your diagnosis..

10. mudrunner

mudrunner Junior Member
    from midwest

its saying about 600 psi. is this adjustable by turning the cross over valve screw in? because mine is all the way in:/

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, only having 600 PSI certainly explains why it won't lift any weight.

Adjust the pump relief valve to see if it will come up. It's on the gear pump protruding from the rear. Should have an acorn nut on it. Set the pressure to 1700 PSI. If everything else is good it should work correctly then.

If it won't develop that much pressure then the gear pump is worn or you have an internal leak or relief valve problem.