1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E 47 Plow gets stuck in the far left position.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jeep2001, Dec 1, 2015.

1. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

The plow worked great last year but this year it gets stuck when I angle all the way to the left. I have to play with the joy stick or wait for a minute to get it unstuck. When it was stuck I unbolted the cylinders and the plow moved very easy side to side with one hand. I even moved the right cylinder to the left and the left cylinder to the right and it still got stuck in the far left position. If I stop the left angle before it hits the stop it nevers gets stuck. When I was unbolting the cylinders when it was stuck the right cylinder had alot of pressure in it was hard to get the bolt out of it. do you guys think the C valve or cross over valve could be the problem?
    Thanks
    jeep2001

2. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Meyers "c" valve, Cross over relief valve? yes start there. Always Start there, and always have a spare valveThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

3. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks for the information should I get the C valve and the magnet too. Also the cross over valve should I replace all of them at the same time? Would the 2 filters give me this problem if they were dirty?
    Thanks again jeep2001

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

9 out of 10 times it is the C valve causing this. You can start by removing C coil. If it is difficult to remove the valve is swollen and damaged.

Cross over valves? Unless you have a very old version it should only have one cross over. If anything you can try lower the relief setting a bit to see if that helps but may allow plow to swing while plowing.

The last thing to check is that the pilot check moves freely and what quick connects you have. The ones with the balls are known to cause all kinds of issues. The ones with pins are the ones you want. This theory can be checked by removing quick connects and attaching hoses directly to the pump.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure the power is going thru the switch if a slick stick..

6. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks everyone for the information. I will replace the C valve. I am not sure how to check the pilot can you explain more on this. My quick connects are the one with the balls so I will try it without the quick connect on it. The slick stick gave me trouble a couple years ago but it was fine last year. When the plow was getting stuck I put a test light on the C coil and I was getting power to it when I was trying to angle right and pump motor was running. How can I tell if I have a very old edition of the E47.
    Thanks
    Jeep2001

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

easiest way to check the coil is to stick a screw driver inside it and have someone angle the stick. If you have magnatisim, then the coil is good, if not, then start back tracing

8. kimber750

Post a pic. Early PA blocks had two cross over valves. All you need to do to test for magnetism is a screw driver or wrench against the nut on top. you will feel the magnetism.

Old style Meyer coils ground through the top bolt so removing to test them will not work.

9. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks guys, l am planning to remove the C valve tomorrow and check the coil too. I seen a seal kit for the C valve but would I be better off just to replace the C valve and coil. I will post a picture of the PA block. Can you recommend a place to get parts from? Thanks
    jeep2001

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would confirm power to the c valve before buying one

smith bros has a good help site and supply of parts

11. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks, I should have power to the C valve when the controller is put into right angle position. When controller is put into left angle position I should have no power to C valve. Is this correct, I am getting some pictures of the E 47 today to post.
    Thanks
    jeep2001

12. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Stops worn off of the sector/a-frame can also cause this issue , when angling the ram will over collapse and block the inlet port not allowing fluid to extend the ram. Easiest check for this is to temporarily tape a nut or small piece of steel to the A frame where the plow hits when it angles , do it for both sides , if the plow works normally now have these pieces welded on and the problem will be solved . They do not usually need to be that thick either , about an 1/8" or so will usually do it . Also , quick couplers can and will fail over time , allowing fluid to pass in one direction but not easily in the other , it might be time to swap them out if they have some age .

HTH

TOM

13. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks for the information, I will try this tomorrow with the stops. I checked the C coil today and I can feel the magnetism. I did notice today after I angled the plow all the way to the left and of course the plow always got stuck there, but if I waited 10 seconds without touching the control l could angle the plow the other way with no problem at all. I didn't get a chance to bypass the quick couplers yet. If I remove the C valve is there anyway by looking at it to tell if it's bad. I like to thank everybody for the excellent advice, here are some pictures of my E 47 it looks like it might have 2 cross over valves but I'm not sure.
    Thanks
    Jeep2001

14. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Here are the pictures had an issue attaching in my last post.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

15. kimber750

First pic is cross over. Second is pump relief.

16. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks, I will do some more testing on Friday. Jeep2001

17. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

I tape a nut about 7/16 wide on the stop today, and it seemed better but not perfect. Then l removed the nut and tried it again. It was a little better than yesterday it seems now it only gets stuck if you still have the switch push 1 or 2 seconds after the plow hits the left stop. Maybe something to do with excessive pressure buildup? I am going to order the C valve and Quick connect ends this weekend. I was wondering what kind of sealant should I put on the threaded part of the quick connects.
    Thanks
    Jeep2001

18. unior

unior Member

I'm having a similar problem only I don't hear my motor run when it gets stuck left.

19. kimber750

What kind of controller?

20. unior

unior Member

toggle switches