1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e-47 help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by j&blawn&snow, Jan 2, 2011.

1. j&blawn&snow

j&blawn&snow Junior Member

bought meyers plow last year after using western for the last 13 years, thought I was getting a good deal. nothing but trouble since then, I truly hate this plow. already replaced motor and springs, would'nt consistently go left and right so flushed and replaced fluid and flushed rams and replaced fluid. changed hoses and couplers. worked fine and then stopped as usual, looks like fluid is coming out of the top of the pump where the lift ram comes out. can i replace seals by myself, do you think this is problem, what do i need to do this? e-47 unit plow works fine when i replace fluid and i cant find any other leaks. not an idiot but dont want to do the wrong thing any help would be appreciated.
  2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Replacing the seal in the top plate (wipe seal I belive its called) is not hard, but that plate is alumiumn and if the seal is hard to get out, you may break it. I used a seal puller, the one like a screwdriver to take mine out.
    But this in not what it making it not go left and right, Mine has leaked for the last 2 years, just keep check on the fluid and its good to go (make sure there is not any water in it), I replaced the seal when I rebuilt it, but my piston is pitted a little, so it just runied the new seal in one season.

if its out of fluid (from the leak) well that is why it quits and it could have air in it, bleed the clynders out may help..

if you get fet up with it, don't trash it I'd like to have a spair!
  3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oh, you can buy a new top plate with seal aready instaled, check ebay
  4. wva

wva Member

the seal is under the top plate the one you can see on top is just the wiper you can buy a basic seal kit for $30 at smithbrosparts.com $5.50 shipping:waving:
  5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oh, yes you are correct, I kinda got a little confused there..
  6. plowjeep420

plowjeep420 Junior Member

Check your local NAPA store, meyer seal kit around $40