1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 freezing up. Lifts and turns slow.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FeelLikeANumber, Feb 14, 2007.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I read some of the other threads which were a great help so far to my E 47 freezing problems. My question is this, Some of the people have said they carry a small blow torch to heat up the unit, but Im confused on where to actually heat it up at? (IM NEW AND DUMB) I dont want to melt any wires or anything but should I just put the flame on the lift and on the plow arms? Or just on the lift its self?

If some people know of a diagram that would explain some of the parts to these plow units it would help also. I saw some of the threads talked about bleeding air out or cleaning filters to get some water out and I have no clue where anything is. Also I want to know if theres a way I can set the plow so that it drops faster? I know there are alot of questions and I appreciate any input, im just getting sick of constantly struggling with this old plow. Thanks a bunch.

Scott:)

2. LON

LON Senior Member

3. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

O.k. , Yeah thats kind of what I figured mainly heating the tank and base of the unit but i just wanted to make sure. I bought a torch today and threw it in the truck for future use... Go figure now the weather man says its gonna be 30 degrees by sunday. Just my luck, i guess I'll have to wait for the next big temperature drop to try it out. I'll check out the website too. Thanks alot.

4. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

When this E-47 pump does work perfictly, how fast does it go compared to the Fisher Minute Mount 2? Is there any contest? Right now it takes about 80-90 seconds to fully raise. I think this is crazy. This is the first year for me and this pump, so I don't know how this is pump is supposed to run even when it is working to its full potential.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I think anything longer than 6 seconds is way to long. The e-60 takes about 2 seconds to raise, the e-47 maybe twice as long...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:eek: A minute and a half to raise the blade? Wow, I admire your patience! LOL! Even the slowest E47 with a weak battery should fully lift in about 7 or 8 second's.

7. Fordistough

from USA

Now last night I cleaned the two filters in the pump. They were filthy. Now I charged the battery and my truck was in the shop (heated at 65 degrees) for hours. I even changed the hydrolic fluid with new warm fluid. I did use regular Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and not Meyer plow fluid, is this a problem? THE PLOW LIFTED AT ABOUT 20 SECONDS!!!!!! What is the problem? It was much faster than it was before but still not very fast, can anyone help?

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

ATF is too thick for Meyer pumps when it is cold out.

Did you clean the pickup screen on the pump??? Also clean out the the sump?? If those 2 items don't fix it then I would replace pump,,,After flushing to Meyer specs and refill with Meyer approved fluid....

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

lawnmedic's right,if you don't clean the internal filter or sump, I guarantee it still has some restriction on the inlet side of the pump. Just doing a flush will not remove all the junk and debris that accumulate's in these pump's, they have to be disassembled in order to get it all clean.This applies to water filled pump's that freeze up in the cold too.

10. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I am having the same slow moving problem. Don't think the freezing is a problem for me. But, I have looked at the service manual, and don't see anything specific about a pick up screen/internal filter or the sump. I just read about cleaning the three filters. Is one of these 3 the filter you mean? Must be the "strainer on the reservoir pump inlet" And where/what is the sump? I want to make sure I am getting it right, or as close to right, as I can the first time. If possible, can you tell me what figure number(in the manual) would illustrate the sump? Is it just the base(fig 3-12 page 36)? Just remove the plate and clean out potential crap?

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, Meyer calls the internal pump pickup a "strainer".And it is considered as 1 of the 3 filters that needs to bo cleaned.And the "sump" is nothing more than the cavity in the "base" that holds the fluid. Just different terminology.:)

13. Fordistough

from USA

Where is the filter/strainer in the sump? I know where the two filters next to the drain plug are.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The strainer is inside the sump base.To get at it you have to remove the top cap, lift ram/cylinder and the outer tank.

15. Fordistough

from USA

One more thing:
    Would someone try to explan to me why I or anyone would ever buy a Meyer pump again???????? This thing makes me want to throw it out the window of a skyscraper!!!!!

God I love Fisher.

16. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have very little problems with Meyer pumps. All pumps need maintenance. I had a Fisher once, had more problems with it than I cared for. Sold it after the mold board twisted. Much easier to find parts for Meyer.

17. Whip

Whip Member

Lack of proper maintenance will make any brand of anything a headache. I've used and sold Meyer for years without a problem.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, lack of maintenance is usually the cause of most of the problem's with any brand of hydraulic pump but as I've said before the Meyer pump's are more susceptible to contamination due to lack of maintenance.They will not tolerate water/debris in the system for very long. And just doing a drain and refill is not enough.They need a complete flush once a year and a sump "clean out" every few years to keep them in top working condition.

19. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks again, I have an E-47. And once again, I asked the "meyer" guy at my local dealer, and he said no just these 2 little ones. But, only after giving me the same blank stare.(See my thread on fluid level) I left there feeling like an idiot. I hope That this screen can be cleaned, because I want to get it fixed. And don't't feel like entertaining the guys at the shop.
    Should I soak the screen in something? Naptha perhaps? I did manage to persuade those guys to at least let me purchase the 2 little ones, so just worried about the sump screen.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, you can usually just clean the internal screen if it's in good shape. Sometime's from the pump drawing against the restricted screen it will collapse it so you may need to replace it anyway.