1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 fluid replacement

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ned5485, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I am getting ready to replace the hydro fluid in my E-47. In the manual, it said to flush the system. How exactly do I do that? I guess the lifter arm and and pump would be like a radiator, just put the cleaner in the top and let it drain out the bottom? For the hoses, Should i just pour the cleaner through them? Or, can I unhook the at the angle arms and pump the cleaner through? And I guess for the angeling cylinders, just pour in and dump out? Maybe I already knew the answers, but some assurance or advice would be great.

Any other input about this process, or something I should know/do during this procedure would be appreciated also.
  2. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Also, how much fluid will it hold? Do I fill it up to the top?
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

You fill it 1" from the top with the lift cylinder in. .................About the flushing, I would be interested in learning about that too.....I have just replaced the fluid up until now, so I think its due for a good flush.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Here is the quote from Meyer's service manual:

After a season’s use, completely drain the hydraulic
    fluid (including hydraulic fluid in hoses and cylinders
    on Power Angling models). Drain fluid through filler
    hole shown in Figure 0-3 or drain hole in base by
    completely retracting lift rod and unbolting unit to pour
    fluid out or using a suction pump. On Power Angling
    models, disconnect the fittings at the Angling cylinders,
    completely retract the cylinder rods and purge
    cylinders and hoses of all hydraulic fluid. Flush the
    complete system including unit, hoses and Power
    Angling rams with a non wax (Napthenic) cleaner. If
    kerosene (Parrafinic) is used to flush the system, the
    system must be flushed again to remove any kerosene
    with a (Napthenic) based cleaner that is wax free .

I flush by,
    Setting aframe on block so plow is off ground.
    Drain pump
    Drain angle rams by using extra set of quick connects into a bucket, manually moving plow bad and forth
    Fill pump with naptha
    Cycle all functions of pump
    Drain pump and angle rams.
    I repeat above using clean naptha until naptha comes out clean.
    I buy naptha by the gallon and will filter my last flush(came out looking clean). Then use it for the first flush on the next plow.
  5. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks lawnmedic. That is helpfull. Amazingly, While I was out today, I bought an extra set of quick connects. I had that same thought. Didn't know if it would work, but bought em. I hope the hoses are 1/4"? It was the only size at tractor supply that looked right. I wasn't about to ask the "meyer" guys.
    What is naptha? And where do you get it? I went to my local Meyer dealer today to get some new screens. I asked what I should use to flush. He just stared at me for a bit then said "what do you mean?" I said that the manual advised flushing the system, but I couldn't remember the name of the chemical. Again, he stared. Then called a coworker from the back, and said " listen to this. This kid wants to know how to flush his pump"(I am 31) Then actually LOL'ed. The other guy thought it was pretty funny too. According to them, there is no way it says anything like that in the manual. And nobody has ever done it.
    I say, according to me, I can get my stuff online from now on.

Anyway, where can I get naptha? I asked the guy at tractor supply, but I still couldn't remember what it was called. By the way, he asked me to let him know when I find out what it was. LOl. Gave me his home number. Really wants to know!
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  6. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Also, I took Indysnowplow's advice from a past thread, and bought some heavy duty all season fluid from tractor supply. It wass definitely cheaper. And I didn't have to deal with the meyer guys!
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ned, I think you should stay as far away from that so called "dealer" as you can. I think he will cause you more problem's than he has the knowledge to solve! As to locating the Naphtha look in the phone book under "oil" or "lubricant's".Somebody that sell's oil's and lubricant's in bulk. You could also check under "industrial supplies". Naphtha is nothing more than the main ingredient in parts cleaning solvent, like the kind a garage would use in a parts washer (a non water based one anyway). I get mine from a local oil company that sell's bulk oil,fluids and lubricant's to garages and factories.They pump it out of a 55 gal barrel and into a 5 gal jug for me.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I get my Naptha from Tractor Supply(cheapest place I found). Most places that sell paint sell Naptha. it with the paint thinners.
  9. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks guys. You have been very helpfull. As far as the "dealer" goes, between the knowledge here, and online merchants, I don't think I will need his bad advice anymore.
    Thanks again
  10. welderdave

welderdave Junior Member

Im not sure if it exactly the same stuff but naptha is also camping fuel for lanterns and stoves.