1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-47 Cylinder Tank Rust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 160ClassBuck, Dec 25, 2004.

1. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Well I failed to change fuid after last season and discovered rust inside the cylinder tank when I went to change it and replace seals.

I thought of using a fine grit sand paper to remove and thoroughly clean out before adding new fluid.

Any suggestion on if this is an OK approach?

Thank you for any advice and Merry Christmas.

2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Rust inside oil tank

I have repaired many plow pumps and find quite a few of them have rust inside,I usually sand blast them and use a good quality paint and have had good luck,I have cleaned them out again years later and find the paint holds up well.I think it would work well to sand it and wash it with soap and water to get all the grit out and run it like that if you don't have time to paint it.
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i would just take a wire brush on a die grinder or e-grinder and clean it up. You shouldn't have to paint it if you keep the oil up to proper level and flush it each year.....
  4. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Thank you guys for the reply. I'll try grinding it tomorrow morning before the Mrs. wakes up and see how things look at the end of the season.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again.

Go Pack Go! :)