1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E 47 Angles fine but wont raise ???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by leadfooter, Dec 19, 2008.

1. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

I just got my truck out for the year and the fluid leaked out the drivers side angle cylinder so I put a brand new one on today. I filled up the fluid.It angles both left and right great. I added more fluid a couple times but it will not raise at all or make any noise when I try to raise it. I have warmed it up good too so temps not an issue. Funny thing is a couple times when attempting to raise it the plow angled to the drivers side??? I also only have magnitism on the A coil when lowering it.... Where should I get magnitism when raising??? Please give me some specific suggestions to try as blizzard warning here right now. Thanks all

2. jwkv

jwkv Member

B coil to raise A coil lowers .. C coil is right and pump run only is left.
    What do you have for a controller? You should hear the motor run and the B coil should be energized.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  3. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply
    I have a silver toggle switch for raise and lower and a seperate Black larger toggle type for the side to side. This is on a 72 Gmc and everything is very old but worked fine last year. I dont have magntism on b when trying to raise please give me some specific suggestion to try... Thanks

4. jwkv

jwkv Member

Does the motor run when you try to raise it. Check for power at the B coil connection. If you do then it's probably a bad coil. If the motor doesn't run and the coil has no power, time to work back to the lift switch. As a test, you can also use a jumper cable and jump from the hot terminal on the motor to the B coil. Jump a wire from the battery to the relay for the motor to engage the motor in short bursts. If it goes up, then you have a problem with the switch or wiring harness. Be careful because if the B coil doesn't work then the blade will angle.

5. berg

berg Member
    from utah

Check the connections on the back of the toggle set up... You probably have a dedicated socket ..

I had a similar problem which was traced to the spade connectors pushing back out the plastic socket...
    might check it since it worked ok last year.

6. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the replies.
    I do have a socket on the back of the toggle and it appears fine.
    The motor does not run when I try to raise it.
    So do the covers come off the coils by removing the nut or?? I couldnt budge them... Where do I jump it to on the coil???
    Thanks

7. jwkv

jwkv Member

The nut is how you remove them. If the break I don't know of a fix other than replacing the valve. Since the plow angles, I would start by checking the continuity of the lift switch first to make sure it is passing currrent properly. You'll have to download the wiring diagram from the Meyer site for the plug. I built my own out of toggle switches so it won't be the same,
    You can try to run a wire from the B valve wire connection to the battery to see if it will magnetize then you won't have to remove it if it is working.

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

If the motor is not running it's not a coil/valve problem. Since the motor is working for the angle it's not a motor or solenoid problem. It sounds like a bad switch/wire/connection.

9. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Meyers setup are very easy. I would make a jumper wire to connect from battery to B coil. Becareful doing this don't hold the wire on for to long.

10. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the replies
    I ran a jumper from the battery to the B and C coils. C coil made noise and B coil did nothing. So I attempted to remove the B coils nut and it snapped off and broke the stud......
    1.I guess I need to buy a new valve or can that stud be replaced somehow????
    2.How do I remove the valve it has 2 flat edges so I guess it screws out???
    3. I see some aftermarket coils on the web can i get them locally at napa or are they only available from snowplow dealers.....Is there grease under the coil or do I just put the new one on dry or ??
    4. Can I take out the C coil and valve and swap it with the B so I could at least raise and lower my plow and get my driveway cleaned out from this current blizzard so I can buy new parts??? is that an option or are teh valves different??
    I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  11. dts

dts Junior Member

mine works fine left and right but mine when going down go down and to the right . too i can t figure mine out either.

12. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

down and with angle....e-47

brrrr morning,,,maybe this is of some help~~~~been at the same problem issue down n angle..eeerr....i tryed new toggles nope same problem had good magnetizen..eerr down n angled eerr..i pulled of c-coil n removed c-valve n gee i found the problem the O-RINGS on the C-VALVE were in very bad condition..replaced just the o-rings the c-valve n yes solved problem with down with a angle,..(fluid was had a severe case of blow-by past them o-rings) And also issues trying to use that blue plow fluid..in a e47 my yellow pump does not like blue fluid like it had a belly ache,,lol.OK i went back to good ol'red auto tranny fluid...i used auto tranny fluid for years it thicker than mr.blue fluid.Olderr pump with blow-by issues.n its less $$....

13. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

yeah id second the switch, the cheapo 9 dollar 2 way toggles go bad with corrosion, esp snce theyre prolly origional switches

n if you pull your valve out, use an awl and poke the hole in the middle and make sure it goes up and down, theres a spring up in there, sometimes they get stuck after sitting

you can reuse your valve, as long as its working and the coil gives magnetism, just put it back on and solder a blob from the broken stud to the coil housing, the coil needs a ground to work.

14. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Ok, I want to jump in on this! I am having the same issues. Just put two new rams on and all new fluid. The plow works great left and right angle, but when I push the raise button it angles to the right. Also when I jack the plow up I can raise and lower the lift arm by hand. Is this normal now that I have all the hoses connected. I have changed B-coils and ran jumpers. I am going back out to check the valve and see if maybe it was stuck. Thanks for any info.

15. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Stuck valve! Thanks!

16. dts

dts Junior Member

repy

figured it out about the l/r works but up/down didnt. I needed to run power first then hit the up botton to make it work. so not so bad jsut had to wire up another switch. thansk for all your help.

DTS