1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e 47? again...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fga, Jan 28, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

)what's up guys? last week i posted a problem I had with the plow not staying up, it would drop down fully within 10 seconds. Took advice from posters and the meyers troubleshoot page, and replaced the "a" valve. Testing it after the ne wvalve, it worked perfectly, I even left it up in the air for an hour just to make sure it was staying up. Plowing last night, the first storm since the fix, driving to the first lot, no problem. After 2 short passes of lift and drop, Inoticed it was dropping again on its own. Not nearly as quick, maybe 45 seconds to fully drop. ???????????? I remember a post saying that maybe the gaskets around the piston may be bad. But i don't see any fluids, and why would it stay up after repeatedly testing it after the valve change? the fluids are fine, could it be an electrical problem, maybe a low current to the solenoid. It still lifts really strong, just doesn't stay up. I driving down the road with my hand on the joystick :)D ) and the other on the wheel. any ideas......?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like water in the hydro fluid. It only takes small drop of ice to clog the valve and keep it from closing. I would flush entire system including angle rams, and refill with a good Meyer approved fluid....Chuck

3. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Is the joystick adjustable?

It may have a slight amount of tension on it, or the contacts might need cleaning.

4. fga

fga Member

that would be great if it's that easy, I'll try that in the morning. Thanks.

5. fga

fga Member

swc, I'm new to plowing, what contacts would I have to check?

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I would seriously doubt it would be the contacts ? To check raise plow and turn of power to the plow controls. On all of my trucks the controllers only have power when the key is on. If the plow drops the seal on the bottom of the piston is probably leaking. This is an internal leak in the pump and fairly easy to repair. I have had this happen to 2 of my plows(both E-47s). I believe the original piston seal is leather. The replacement is rubber. On mine the fluid did not leak externally out the top seal. The plow would just slow drop as I drove from lot to lot. Check your early thread, I believe the replacement procedure was explained there. In addition I would't think it to be electrical, since in the up position there is no power to any solenoids.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  7. fga

fga Member

Thanks JMR, i think you called it an E-47 piston seal kit, I was thinking as I'm plowing that it was this, i figured I'd try the valve first, since its alittle easier. I'll post back.

8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

That might call it a minor seal kit or a minor overhaul kit. I keep one in stock in our shop just in case. I'm sure any Meyer dealer should have one, or www.angelos-supplies.com or on e-bay. You will also need at least a 1-1 1/2 quarts of blue winter grade hydraulic fluid and a WARM place to work on it. Good luck.