1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-46 slow to raise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Piston_Honda, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Piston_Honda

Piston_Honda Junior Member
    from Canada

O.K so I have an E-46 from the stone ages. It worked fine the first year I got it. It then sat for a year in my heated basement. I put it on the truck this winter and it is painfully slow to raise. Sometimes it won't even fully raise the small 6 foot blade. It is even slow to raise even without the plow on and doesn't make that crazy robot whine like it used to. I took off the pump and disconnected the motor. I tested the motor with jumper cables and it seems to spin fine. I then drained the fluid and surprise it was ATF fluid. About 500 mls. Is it low? Is it electrical? Any help woud be great.

2. Piston_Honda

from Canada

Flushed and changed fluid. That didn't help. (But good to have done). Bad ground was the culprit. Works like a champ. Thanks fellas for the suggestions.

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I'm glad that you got it fixed. I assume, that you put the proper fluid in and not the ATF. Of course the ATF is a lot cheaper, but Meyer doesn't recommend it. None the less, guys have used the ATF and never have a problem. Then there are guys that were having a problem and changed to Meyer fluid and the problem goes away. I try to think that the engineers at a plow company have a reason to use a certain fluid and they know more that I do.

4. Piston_Honda

from Canada

I refilled the pump with Boss fluid. All you Meyer guys are cringing. That was all that was available and I really didn't want to mail order some. I figure that it was better than ATF. It's just an old pump but it gets the job done.
    It's funny how a simple ground connection can give a guy grief. I didn't have any problems in the past. I always laughed at the suggestions and thought it was a bigger problem.
    Now I believe.

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

From what I have read for the last few years, any regular plow fluid will be fine, but the only caution that guys give out is that you don't mix 2 different kinds. Specially with ATF.
    They maybe all the same, but Meyer puts in special ingredients to help the plow like something to get rid of the water in the system. I'm glad you are up and running.