1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-46 motor stcking

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ontos, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ontos

ontos Junior Member
    from NY

Yes it's old, me too.
    The 12v motor on my plow will go long periods with no problems then not work... a little tap and it will go a while. last few days have been warm so not a cold problem.
    Maybe brushes? I started to take the top off the motor and figure i should ask what I'll find under?
    What is the procedure for taking off the motor?
    Thanks any info or advice.

2. EricW

EricW Junior Member

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If tapping on the top of the motor brings it back to life then it's probably worn brushes or a failing armature or most common, corrosion.

Use the link to the manual that Earl posted. It for the E47 not E46 but the motors are the same. It'll help you through the motor repair.

If the motor is old or you have no idea how old it is, I'd highly recommend just replacing the motor with a new one rather than installing new brushes or brush cap in the old one. Complete replacement motors aren't too expensive..

4. ontos

ontos Junior Member
    from NY

Much thanks to all who replied. Thanks Eric for the Manual, it does include the E46.

B&B,Also good advice to just go get a new motor.
    Thanks again

5. ontos

ontos Junior Member
    from NY

Got a new motor from NAPA 89$.. Easy change out.
    Thanks again.

PS Usually I spend twice the cost of a new whatever, trying to make the old one work.

6. Gpete

Gpete Junior Member

ontos,
    is the motor a Bosch type that NAPA carries ?
    i think i need a new motor also here in north Idaho.
    did you bring the old one to NAPA to match it?
    thanks for reply