1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dyno'd my truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by William B., Jul 27, 2010.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Got a chance to run my truck on the dyno this last weekend at Randall's Performance open house. I was a little disappointed in the numbers but that's in part to no lift pump and a dirty fuel filter so that is next on the list. I put down 475hp and 818 trq. Not horrible numbers by any means but I'm wanting to hit the 500 mark. Here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2R0f0hZYzU

Also on Sunday they had a truck pull as part of the open house. I ran in the work stock class. This is was the first time that I got to pull all year due to several rain outs so I wasn't real sure what to expect.I was the last truck of the day to pull and was pretty surprised when I got back to the pits and a friend of mine comes up to me and said "I think you just won that class". Sure enough I was able to beat out 1 Ford and 7 Cummins. Pretty happy with the way the truck pulled. Got to see Eric Merchant pull as well as Dan Clarke from Dan's Diesel Performance. Both VERY impressive Duramaxs.
    Anyways here is my pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rhHC3rCQrU

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice lookin pull Will. Dan Clarke lives about 10 minutes from me, seen him pull a few times with his old setup. Havn't gotten to see his 05 hook yet since he went all out with it.

3. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Ok now i really want to pull with my diesel, too bad I dont have it turboed. :(

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You can change that. lol

5. PabstBlueRibbon

well when she goes i plan on making her a pulling truck. Gonna figure out how to jam a CAT under the hood or find a 2003 7.3 all depends on when i get a "new truck"

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like quite the project to me. I think a 12v cummins swap would be easier. Put a nv4500 behind it and go from there.

7. PabstBlueRibbon

But a project is a project! why not go big? i def don't want to go home! and who can honestly say they have a CAT powered F350?

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Not to many people. Seems like alot of work though to go truck pulling. Especially since I don't see a Cat engine having a lot of upgrades available to make it competitive.

9. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Congrats Will. Hope you get to pull again this season. You should come over and run some ISP pulls hahaha sweet truck

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Nice Movies Will !!!

Im surprised your truck didnt smoke more....

Hopefully the lift pump will fix that LOL

11. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Nice pull Will. Hey Triple L, how come your track wasn't that nice?! I'm sure we would have seen an even more impressive pull! Next time maybe.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm sure it's a dream for now, and he never even mentioned which motor he'd want to use making me assume he hasn't done any research and its namely for the cool factor, but I don't see a problem fitting a 3116 in that truck. They are about the same dimensions as a 5.9er. "Upgrades" really won't be too limited vs a 12 popper. I mean, fuel, air and a turbo. I'd imagine they offer injectors, and boosting the pump pressure isn't a big deal. Although those Cat bottom ends aren't really known to be the most stout. Top kicks and stuff usually need rebuilds btw 2-300k. Not to mention good running Cat engines or trucks with them aren't a dime a dozen like 12v Cummins' are.

Anyway, back on topic. Nice run Will. I honestly think with the addition of a lift pump alone you may see the #'s you are hoping for.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The lift pump will make a big difference. I'd be be happy with those numbers on the dyno. Nice pull also.

14. PabstBlueRibbon

Correct, It's a dream until that truck is sitting dead in the shop. I'm pretty sure that will be a long time from not. Them International 7.3's are bullet proof. Every man can dream

15. Triple L

from Canada

Im hoping it wount rain all day for the Drayton Pull....

16. honda12967

honda12967 Member

PabstBlueRibbon i dont know how to do the quote thing but they have cat powered lawn mowers haha, ferris makes them we sell them at my shop. I cant lie to ya i love reving them up and cutting some grass with them, sounds amazing.

17. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Thanks alot guys! After emailing Nick a little and talking with Brian Randall, a lift pump is defanilty on the list as the next step. I really wish the other 3 pulls that I had planned on pulling at hadn't got rained out just so I could see what the truck did against some of the other pullers in the area.

That tune doesn't smoke as much as the 500 tune does but on the dyno this tune put the best numbers down. I'm wondering if on the bigger tune it was draining the fuel rail to fast so the hp and trq numbers weren't going to be up where they should have been.

18. PabstBlueRibbon

guess I wont be the first to have a CAT in a 350 :(

Will,

do you have to do anything special to your truck to pull? I.E. rear bumper or hitch?

19. Triple L

from Canada

I add - Spring clamps, drop the torshin bars down, Mud tires on, tires down to 30psi, Turn the lift pump on, Crank the tuner up, Headlight out for chevy's with airbox mods, Add weight in front of bed to get up to class weight.... I think thats about it... Will might do more, I guess we'll see....

20. PabstBlueRibbon

i just want to run it bone stock!