1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dyno Oil vs. Synthetic

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by saabman, Jan 3, 2008.

?

What kind of oil do you use in your plow truck

Poll closed Jan 13, 2008.
  1. My truck runs Dyno Oil

26.9%
  2. My turck runs Synthetic

73.1%
  3. I dont know, Jiffy Lube changes my oil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Just curious how many of you run synthetic oil in your plow trucks. I do as it remains viscous at temps where dyno oil is thick and gooey.

Chris

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I run synthetic in everything. Costs twice as much, but lasts 3 times as long as dino-juice. Small mpg gains too.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Penzoil every 3k. Slick50 at 20k and 75k....always smooth and never bitter :jester:

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've used synthetic oil in my vehicles for just shy of thirty years. I'm sorry but I don't have any he said-she said stories, misinformation, or tales otherwise of how it doesn't allow an engine to break-in, or how it leaks past rings or turbo seals, or that it isn't wise to leave it in for a year or 15,000 miles, or that it isn't fit for motorcycles with wet clutches. All went well on this end and it has been used in a Fuller RoadRanger RTO14613, Toyota Turbo Pickup(throughout), 66 Mustang(throughout), 72 Mustang, 77 Jeep CJ7(throughout), 81 Toyota Celica ST, 85 Dodge W150(throughout), 95 Ford Lightning(eng/trans), 01 Escape (throughout), 96 Dodge 1500 (engine so far), 88 Ducati Paso(eng/trans, dry clutch), 01 KTM LC4 Supermoto (eng/trans/wet clutch), Honda Interceptor (eng/trans/wet clutch), Stihl chainsaws and blower, Redmax trimmers,edger, hedge shears,powerbroom, Echo trimmer, Husquvarna blower, eXmark 36" mower, Toro two and four cycles. Not a bearing failed on synthetic grease or gear oils, never an engine problem related to the oil or lack of protection. Anything that didn't leak already, didn't start leaking because of synthetics. A couple vehicles went back to petroleum for short durations when out of stock on synthetic and there were never any difficulties encountered because of that, nor when switching back to synthetics. By converting to synthetic on the Interceptor, a hesitation on acceleration from idle under hot engine conditions dissapeared. In the KTM it corrected a clunky shifting problem when the bike was new (KTMs known for notchy shifting at times), as well as smoothing out the shifting in the Interceptor and Ducati, It raised the idle rpms in the 66 Mustang, quieted noisy rocker arm pivots on the jeep 304, allowed easier starts in cold weather in all vehicles, Easier shifting in the 14613, I could go on and on but based on the posts so far, there's no need to preach to the choir.

Oil is only part of the equation. Keeping dirt out of equipment is vital. Use quality filters.

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Keeping dirt out of equipment is vital. Use quality filters.[/QUOTE]

Well put. I use conventional oil 186,000miles no leaks no problems changed about every 7-9k when the light goes on.I'm not driving a hot rod it's a work truck.

6. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Even with synthetic oil I change at every 4-5k since no matter what kind of oil it gets dirty. Dirt is not the enemy in the cold, viscosity is. Easy to see the difference on the oil pressure gauge. With dyno oil you will see cold oil pressure quite a bit higher than when running synthetic. Once both oils are at operating temp the pressure should be about the same. The engine bearings are taking a beating with cold dyno oil.

7. zuess253

zuess253 Junior Member

my truck needs oil?

the oil in my pos gets changed three times a year and thats it. my old truck (87 chevy s10) was not changed after 250,000 miles. drove to 500,000 some odd miles and just checked and filled it once a month. no point to use synthetic. i have built alot of engines and the ones that run cheap oil look the same as the synthetic ones. just my opinion and what i have seen not trying to sound mean.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Mobile 1.................

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i have been running Mobil 1 since i bought my truck i change it every 3-4K it may be a little overkill but whats it gonna hurt.

10. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I use a homemade blend of both.

And a submicronic filter that the automotive industry DOES NOT want ANYONE to know about.

12. too tired to finish

I have been reading this article for over 2 hours ( more than half of the OSU thumping)
    and have to take a break

I had 7 yrs of training in auto engineering and I find these explainations refreshing.

Recommended reading and very well done

Bottom line : use Synthetic fluids and find the best filter you can (suggestions provided).
    And consider an oil analysis for PM precautions. ( I havent heard of these analysis
    since my racing days)

Speed read if you must -- but you must read this
    tc