1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dyna Plow, Re: Lobo

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Lobo did alright by us this year. Well enough that I am debating unloading one of the S-10s for a 25 or 3500 and setting up another Lobo on it. The increase in efficiency on large lots would more than compensate for the loss in agility on residentials. It would have to be a good deal on the big pickup, but I think it will happen at some point.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Just out of curiosity, what is the Lobo on now?

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Lobo rides on a 97 K-2500, 8600 lb GVW. And that's barely truck enough. Ahh, for the good old days when you could just stick another leaf in the springs and not worry about it.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Whew... from the sound of your post, I thought it might be hanging on the S10.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

See now Alan if ya had something with a Blue Oval out front, you could just add another leaf spring. Has something to do with the solid front axel, and Front suspension design.

Haa hee :) :)

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff, you can lead a horse to water... :D .
  7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

He wants to be able to use the plow though, not watch the snow pile up around the truck :D
    couldn't resist!!
  8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

HA! HA! HA! :D

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

thanks for the info Alan, no mechanical problems or welding issues with this one? do you have the 8' 6" model? down pressure? sounds as though the plow is pretty heavy, however i will assume no heavier than a boss or western.
    it must have worked fine if you are even considering adding another one and dumping a s10...i know how you like
    your s 10's.
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Our Lobo is the bigger one, 9'1" I think it is. Only minor welding failure was at the bottom of one pivot where there appears to have been some lack of fusion on a weld. From the way it moved I don't think it was normal wear and tear. This plow was a year old when we got it, turns out the PO had drop kicked a car with it and wiped out the subframe on his truck. At that point he decided that the Lobo wasn't rugged enough for him. I think the weld broke from the accident, so I'm not real concerned about it. Only design flaw I can see at this point is that the hinge pins for the winges are greased by a single hole down the center of the pin with outlets into each pivot point. Grease gets to the first one just fine, but not to the ones down the length of the pin. That is getting changed, I'll drill each pivot and put in grease fittings, then put plugs in after I grease them. It will be a pain, but I don't dare leve fittings in all the time, I'm sure they will get wiped out the first time you get into a hard bank. Maybe a short pipe around the fitting to shield it. I'll do something, even if it's wrong

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

nice to here your positive comments about the plow and
    what needs to be reenginered ( are you listening bryan from
    Sno-way?) are you still operating the plow with the rocker switches?
    thanks Alan.
  12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Ah yes,, rocker switches. Since we run two Predator (Sno-Way straight blades) we're used to the rocker switches, in fact they work pretty good. We leave the control box loose and let it sit on our left leg when plowing. The left hand cups right over it and the switches are right under your fingers like that and you just toss the whole box upon the dash when you get out of the truck or are not using the plow. The Lobo uses this godawful HUGE switchbox with switches the size of snowmobiles (ok,, maybe I'm exagerating a little here)and is more than a little clumsy for us. I've opened it up and it looks like everything would fit in a box the size of the Predator control. So,, I'm going to try a little remodeling on it, if I can find a suitable sized box to mount everything in. I'll put the wing switces beside each other, with the switch set so it makes sense, push the front to move the wing forward, etc., and the lift switch crossways in front of them with the downpressure toggle on the side, like hte Predator is. I want them all as similar in feel and function as I can get them, it's a pain remembering which truck you're in for hte first half hour.
  13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Drifting a little off topic here, but I was wondering how the size of the box/rocker switches compares to the one used on the Monarch powerpacks. I have one of them in my truck and I like it - of course I also prefer the heavy welding & fabbing over the fiddly little stuff!

Not too many SnoWays in my area - I haven't had a chance to take a close look at a Lobo yet.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Yes, I'm listening. I have heard that complaint before about the grease zerts. Alan try taking them out and pouring 90wt. gear lube down inside, see if this will lubricate all the way down, some say it works. I will pass this comment along to Sno-Way. As for the controls, I really can't comment much on changes. I can only say, they will be changing. You will first see the changes on the straight blade this year and the Lobo next. Get the gear lube with the spout that you can stick the tip into the hole, it will be a slow process but worth a try, I've done it to my demo and it worked.