1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DXT vs. MVP 3

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by skorum03, Jan 19, 2014.

1. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Just trying to get some opinions on the DXT vs the MVP 3. The only differences I can see are the chain lift vs hydro lift, and the controllers. I've used the DXT before and liked it a lot, but am not so sure I am huge on the hydro lift. Just wondering what guys that have used either one or both think about them. My dealer carries both and one of these will be my next plow. Right now I'm using an 8 ft straight blade.

Thanks fellas

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've used both Chain & Hydraulic lift and still have one chain lift Fisher straight blade. But I prefer the hydraulic lift by a long shot.

3. skorum03

Elaborate. Why do you prefer hyrdo lift?

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What's your best dealer in the area? I know star prarie has a good shop. Don't know what's close in hudson.

If no close dealer I would rather a a boss with relays easily beeing changed compared to a black box that you can't diagnose in the field.

Also in fleet operations boss has been using 13pin harnesses since 01 or so. Western has had many options. Western has flex fleet now which is good. You can buy a cheap boss plow for back up and wiring still works. Can't do that with the western with the "cheap" part.

I have had chain/moldtrip, chain/trip edge, direct/moldtrip, and now a dxt.

DXT is the smoothest and easiest hitting curbs while lifting. Driving between job sites the direct lift won't jerk after going over a bump like a chain lift.

The mvp mount looks cleaner in the offseason, it seems to stack higher but not by much.

My 2cents.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Never owned boss but last week there was a good post about the bad points on the DXT.

The MVP3 is solid rolling down the road, no bounce.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. skorum03

We have a boss dealer in Ellsworth at the ford dealer. And a western and boss dealer at Fred's Tire in Stillwater. It seems that they both have a lot of positives and few negatives and are both very nice plows.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Another BIG difference is the dual trip on the Boss vs. just trip edge on Western. I presently have a trip edge and it's fine, but had I done my research a little better prior to buying my blade I would have gotten the DXT. Dual trip would be really nice when hitting a curb larger than your cutting edge.

8. Emmanuel

Emmanuel Member

We have a Mvp3 and i have looked at the Dxt at the dealer. The Moldboard on the MVP3 seems very thin and chincy. We have 4 mvp+ and all the moldboards are either dented up good or small gashes in the steel. I have plowed with a vxt for 3 years and not a single dent on it.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The DXT is 11 Gauge (12 Gauge in Stainless), the MVP3 is 14 gauge with no option for stainless.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Fisher skins fit

Boss has a different controller to some people don't like it

11. skorum03

I have heard that some don't like the boss controller but I found it surprisingly easy to use the first time.

12. skorum03

This is actually going to be a big part of my decision I think.

13. skorum03

Do you know prices on comparable sizes? Installed prices

14. djagusch

from mn

If its the post I'm thinking of the bad points posted wasn't really dxt specific. Reading them they were boss specific. Which are very small points.

Can you let me know how they designed the plow so it wouldn't bonuce while hitting a decent bump?

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I really don't understand this bounce thing.

Even my Meyer doesn't bounce. That mvp3 is probably twice as heavy I don't see why it would.

Even if it did I wouldn't care lol

16. djagusch

from mn

Chain lift. Weight of plow keeps it down while driving correct? If you hit a bump or swale in the road the plow in the up motion jumps (slack in chain) then gravity happens then the plow jerks to a stop when it hits the end of the chain slack. Its the weight of the plow coming to a sudden stop when the chain stops it. Very hard on everything.

If you own a chain lift and don't know what I'm talking about then you don't drive over 30mph or have very smooth roads.

Higher weight of plow just makes it worse.

17. AlertSnow

AlertSnow Member

so your saying if my cut edge is 6 inches and I hit a 6 inch curb its going to trip? lets even say its a 4 inch curb?

and don't you mean western has the DUAL trip edge?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  18. skorum03

I think he means dual trip as in trip edge and full trip moldboard

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would have some concerns after reading this

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=152420

With the new redesign on the MVP3 and different ram, the A frame fits tighter against the lower cross bar. If you ever see drive, you would swear its welded in the up position.

20. AlertSnow

AlertSnow Member

can you go in more detail to be able to understand your point a little more?