1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DXT or VXT?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 08SnowPusher, Sep 23, 2013.

1. 08SnowPusher

08SnowPusher Member

I made the decision this year to get a new truck and sold my oldest (12 yr. old poly V) plow with my last truck. I had decided on the VXT until the DXT came out. Since this isn't "the" Western promo video here, let's be honest...we know full trip Boss V's work. They've worked for years and years. I do, however, understand and like the theory behind the trip blade. What concerns me is the additional moving parts, location of the parts, cost and difficulty of replacement. Since this is a new animal, I think time will tell. If anyone is confident or pessimistic about this set-up and would like to elaborate it would be appreciated.

My main concern is the only complaint that I have heard about the DXT. When the blade trips (I am uncertain if this happens with just a blade trip or a blade and moldboard trip) the bolts and additional steel on the front of the blade toward the center make contact with the asphalt digging "mysterious" divots. While this type of damage to the pavement might be relatively minor and of no concern on most of my route I do have a couple of very nice, seal coated lots with very fussy owners. Has anyone experienced this or are my findings false? Due to the service, quality, and most importantly, value, I hold Boss to a very high standard, as do most of you.

I'm ready to cut the check, I just hate buyer's remorse on a purchase this large and this important. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

It sounds to me like this mysterious complaint would involve a serious strike of some sort in order to get that kind of damage. I've sent a manhole cover flying higher than my hood before, so I'm familiar with serious hits. Ironicallly, I decided to make the big switch this year, and have gotten rid of my old yellow plow that starts with an "M" and decided to make a serious upgrade to the DXT. I should have it installed next week. I've heard nothing but good things, and I hope to put it through a few good tests this coming season.

3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I just got a new VXT. The VXT is a proven design so until the DXT has been out for a couple of years.I will stay with the VXT. like you i don't want the buyers remorse.

4. northernford

northernford Junior Member

I have a vxt and I am going to trade it in on a dxt. the vxt is a great plow but I like the trip edge too so after looking over the new design in person I decided to buy. it looks like it is built well and I think boss has put in the research and development, so I am confident in the quality.

5. alpine779

alpine779 Member

We are going with the dxt, we have a western mvp3 (our first and only one from now on, the other 3 are boss) trip edge which we like, don't like all the other issues with it but that's another story. As the blade wears down you get less of a trip edge safety factor so to speak so having both trip and mold I think would be fantatstic and just doubling up protection for yourself and truck. I have not heard of the mysterious divots up here though.

6. alpine779

alpine779 Member

How far up in Northern Michigan? Like UP? We ordered ours and vbx from mallettes

7. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Got my new DXT installed last week. It is definitely a stout plow, made well. It seems like a great deal of thought and engineering went into the design and manufacture. I've gone over the entire thing with a fine toothed comb and it seems to me like a very good design. It seems like there are fewer parts than other trip edge designs so maybe stronger and more reliable? I hope so, and hope to test it out well this season.

8. Had a stainless 8'2" DXT installed last week, it is a major upgrade from my old BOSS.

9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

what's the price tag difference in the two? i'm also in the same boat, VXT or DXT...next question is poly or steel...next question is would stainless be the answer?...****...i just confused myself again

10. Sorry I don't know the price tag difference. Truck and plow was a package deal. All I know is that they said it was a bit more then the Western v-plow they had in mind. I told them I wanted a stainless DXT BOSS-they said OK. I would use an VXT to throw it back as far as I could at the very least. Poly plows I seen with holes punched in them from wood, cement blocks or whatever. Another concern was about DXT snow catcher digging in pavement, keep the plow in a slight scoop, or take off the snow catcher off and put some 200 mph tape on it, or put on some new cutting edges when they come out- only 10ft edges are available at this time. By the way, my old truck and BOSS plow didn't last a week did not last a week on the dealers lot.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  11. 08SnowPusher

08SnowPusher Member

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to go with the DXT, but am still a little worried since the VXT is a proven performer and really no different than the RT3's I have been using. I do like how stout everything is and appears well engineered and well built on the trip edge.

To answer the question on price difference: it depends on where you shop. After getting quotes from Weingartz in SE in Mi, my home town dealer, and also a huge distributor in Minnesota and a few in-between it seems there is about a $300-$350 difference between the poly 8'2" VXT and poly 8'2" DXT. The quotes I received differed about $800 when comparing DXT's purchased at different dealers, with installation. I have a feeling the difference in price might be installation charges.

12. 08SnowPusher

08SnowPusher Member

Nope, I wish...I live in Northwestern lower peninsula...troll country.

13. Dem trolls that live beneath THE BIG MAC BRIDGE fur sure, you bet'cha, I love paying the toll after crossing, not before.