1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DXT Home Install on 2000 Ford Excursion

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by therabbittree, Dec 21, 2014.

1. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I had a few people ask me to post pictures of my install when I did it. I just started my Install this weekend.
    Background info is the Truck is a 2000 Ford Excursion with a 12v Cummins and 6spd G56 Manual trans. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used to plow the last 15 yrs with a 5spd 1 ton dodge flatbed so I don't have a issue with a stick and plowing. That truck ended up rotting the cab so bad the steering shaft was catching on the front shock mount. I had enough fun fixing my old Meyers plow every storm. I Also just purchased a new home that has a very tough uphill gravel driv3eway that is 1100' long too, so I decide to buy a new plow. I wanted a V plow due to the uphill and long plow on the new driveway. New Drive is narrow and has a hill on one side and a drop off into a stream on other side so not much room for error or getting stuck.
    I liked the DXT setup and decided on a 9.2' Stainless DXT, I was going to go with a 8.2' but the $ and weight difference wasn't that big of a deal. $200 and 57 lbs 920lbs for 8.2" stainless DXT, and 977lbs for 9.2'. I also liked the NGE Electrical system boss offers and wanted to use that system.
    I Shopped around and found a dealer close to my new home and bought the plow. I decided on a Self install at home as i don't like other people working on my stuff and like to make sure the job is done the way I like. Plus I'm tight on my budget and $600 savings from self install helps.

Thanks,
    Deo

2. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

First step was to remove the front wheels and front bumper on the truck for the undercarriage mount.
    [​IMG]

Open the Box and lay out the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Deo

3. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The Boss instructions are "ok", but not great. The exploded diagrams are difficult to read and not 100% clear. The Steps do not have diagrams or pictures at most steps, and you need to keep flipping to the back exploded diagram. The Diagram is hard to read and not accurate in the way each part looks like. So take your time and make sure things are correct.
    The 1999-2007 Ford Superduty truck mounts require drilling the frame in several places. The I used 3 sizes going up in steps and used lots of cutting oil, and ending with a 1/2" Cobalt drill bit. the Hardest cut was the small drill bit the rest when smoothly , just have to be careful and go slow especially with the larger bis they can bite ya.
    The push frame bracket supports go only one way. If you flip the bracket around it will bolt up, but it won't lay flat on the frame as there is a frame bump it would hit etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once the Drop push plates are drilled and mounted you loosely bolt the push beam in and and add the angle brackets.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Deo

4. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The Angle Brackets are the hardest part of the undercarriage install. You have to either have tiny hands and be able to reach into the frame and install the bolts from inside the frame, or use the bolt pullers tools boss includes in the kit. The Bolt pullers are made of spring steel and are intended to have you push it into the drilled frame hole , out to the front, thread a bolt into the tool and pull it through the frame and out of the hole. Well the first one works ok , but they don't like to unthread, and if you can't stop the bolt from spinning that makes it worst. if you use a pick and pull the wire off the bolt its ok, but it can easily damages the tool. If you bend the tool back it can hang up in the next hole etc. I think Boss should include one tool for each bolt need to be fished thru. I had to get my son to reach in and hold the bolts etc. other option would have been to cut a 3/4" wrench and weld along piece of steel on it to reach in and hold the bolt. not sure if that would help fishing the bolt into the hole though, just to hold it for tightening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

More Angle bracket fun ...
    [​IMG]
    The Easiest way to do it is to have a little Helper!
    [​IMG]
    A Look inside the frame horns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Deo

6. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

Finished up on the mount:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knickd the Radiator with a wrench so have another one on order. Be careful. Didn't even think I hit it and only noticed it when I saw a small puddle dripping under the truck. Murphy's hanging out here at my house the weekend..lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I left the mount low as the truck is slightly lifted, ( 2-3 ") and I may have to readjust to get 15 1/2".
    [​IMG]

Next Step was to tackle the truck side wiring. I opened the NGE box and layed everything out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I started to scratch my head as I could not find the Truck specific headlight harness. The instructions call for that first. I discovered the Dealer must have forgot to give me that harness. I assumed it was in the NGE Box or the Plow crate. I double checked and it is definitely not here. Its a little frustrating as i had hoped to finish the truck side totally and close the truck back up. I can do some of it now, like mount the nge truck side box and the cut the fire wall for the large grommet etc.. I hope the Dealer has it as his shop. I still have to pickup my Timbren's for the front.

The Plow side NGE Wireles box and it connects to the headlights and you open the plow up and rewire inside it for the second harness. The Plow side NGE Box as only 2 connectors. Connectors are not seated and not connected only loosely in connector for photos.
    [​IMG]

The Truck side NGE Wireless box has 3 Connectors. The First harness is the power / ground harness, second is the controller harness, and the 3rd is the missing truck specific headlight harness.
    [​IMG]

Choose to move on to the Plow assembly next.
    Thanks,
    Deo

9. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The DXT Plow comes in a large card board crate on a wooden pallet, and a metal skid hold the 2 plow wings on it. I had brought the plow home 2 weeks ago and was waiting on The back ordered NGE system and some odds and end s on the truck itself so I had stored the plow crate out side and under 2 tarps.
    Well the 2 tarps didn't work so well. The Box got a some moisture inside it and I had some icey condensation parts lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think each metal skid holds 4 plow wings. The Wings are secured with 1 cutting edge carriage bolt on each side. 1" or 24mm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The Wings are heavy. I recommend having a wide body helper, or a tractor. I got one wing out by myself and it was tough had to lift it in the corners and wiggle it around. My Wife helped me with the other wing.
    Boss recommends cutting the box open and laying the cardboard down on the ground to work on. Seeing as I have Asphalt millings for a driveway any cushion is welcome, so I took Boss's advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

very cool. subscribed to see more!

12. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The First step is to lay the wings down flat and join them together with the center box and along steel pin. The Pin and the joins should be greased well The Dealer uses this neat spray on lube that dries and says slippery. I used that and added moly grease myself. The hinge joints have a small hole to use a needle grease gun. I would like to see what parts would clear if i wanted to drill and tap for grease fitting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's where I ended yesterday. I'm going out in a few to work on the rest of the plow assembly. The instruction have to build the plow partially flat on its front face then you flip it back and move the wings to the scoop position to finish the assembly. I hope i can flip it with out getting hurt. If it too much I will borrow my uncles tractor with loader or use my engine lift.
    More updates to follow I may not be able to work i\on much the week due to the Christmas Holiday.
    Thank you,
    I hope this helps some one in the future.

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!

Deo
    Thumbs Up

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

check out u tube

14. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I have found a few videos , mainly regarding tech help on setting up specific systems etc. Dave Jacobs from Falls Village Ct had this video. It is fast motion and showed how they build them using a overhead hoist.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VVOAUVJUEUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't have that option in my driveway , but i will improvise.
    Thanks
    Deo

15. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

16. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

The bolt pullers are designed that you thread the bolt on it, then fish it through the hole as the instructions state. I just thread them on halfway and hold the bolt with my other hand while I unthread it and thread on the nut. Then just reach from the inside and out a 3/4 box wrench over the head and tighten it down.

Oh and you won't be able to lift the plow up from facedown yourself you'll definitely need two people to flip it and get it into V without it sliding around

17. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

Looking good so far. Thats a nice excursion you have.

18. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I was having a hard time unthreading the bolt pullers. it was like a air chisel spring / chinese finger trap lol. Kept fighting me to unthread the bolt due to spring . I tried being extra careful too. The wire spring would end up bending out a hair, then the puller wouldn't fit into the frame hole to pull next bolt, or if it fit, the wire would be sticking out a hair off the bolt and catch in the hole not letting bolt be pulled through. The 2 pullers only worked correctly 1 time each. I would recommend purchasing extra bolt puller s if you have to use them on your install. They can't cost much at all and do work well when they aren't bent up.

Ok Had to take off for Christmas, and haven't had a lot of time to post the rest of the pictures. In fact I haven't finished the install yet due to a missing back ordered harness, more on that later.
    I have left off with the wings flat on the ground and the center bolt installed. You have to remove all the trip edge transport bolts along the trip edge. If you are doing plow shoes, now is the time to install the plow show bracket too. I am adding the plow shoes but do not have them yet, they are on order. So I'll have to lay the plow flat out again or work under it with jack stands holding it up to install the show brackets later. Save yourself the extra work and do them now.
    Here are the plow parts laid out.
    [​IMG]
    This is the lube and grease I am using the spray goes on wet and drys to a super slippery surface. I also added moly grease. If I could add grease fitting to the plow center hinge I would. Its a needle grease hole from the factory and not sure if regular grease fitting will clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The next steps need the plow upright. So with out a over head hoist , i have 3 options. Get a few wide bodies to help me, - no one was around to help. Borrow my Uncles tractor with front end loader - best option but he wasn't home and I didn't want to wait. And The option I used engine lift.
    Using the engine lift, I lifted the plow up from the center section. I placed a extra tire under the center. As let the plow down from the engine lift, the plow pivoted down to the ground. This worked pretty good. with little strain. I have crushed discs in my lower back and can't risk manhandling things any more like could when I was younger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

I recruited one of my sons to help me assemble the plow.
    The Push frame has to be installed into the center section. and then you need to torque the Horizontal pin to 113 lbs. This was difficult as the pin does not have a bolt end , but has 2 flat sides. You need to hold the flat sides from spinning as you torque pin's nut. I used a large open end wrench to hold the flat side of the pin and it kept trying to slip free, while torquing it. It was pretty frustrating but finally got the required torque.
    [​IMG]
    You can drag the wings back into a v with one person to finish the rest of the assembly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the lift cyl is back wards the fitting have to be facing to the front of the plow. You attach the angle cylinders, and the return springs. The return springs have spring lock retainer washers you push onto the spring ends to retain them on the plow in case they could rattle of spring out of there mounting holes.