1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DXT cutting edge wear

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by srl28, Feb 4, 2015.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

So we bought two new trucks this season and I wanted the DXT for mine so after weeks of it not showing up and being delayed I finally got it installed a few days before Christmas. Got the 8'2" (wish I went 9'). I'm strictly plowing large commercial with this plow/truck so the blade is down quite a bit but I'm noticing quite a bit of wear on the factory edge, the one with the open bolt holes in it. For most of January we were really only salting so the plow hasn't had a crazy ton of use until just lately but now I'm looking at an edge that doesn't look like it will make the season. Any one have similar experience with this?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You should be able to get a season out of them.

The formed edges do last longer.

i like a edge with some wear on it, it seems to scrape better.

ps you can get a set of wings for your 8.2.
  3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Very very tempted to buy wings for some time now, just trying to find the best price, they aren't cheap!!
  4. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

And I agree that an edge that's somewhat worn does scrape better but these seemed to be wearing very quickly. I'll try to grab a picture later, don't want to wait too long and let it wear down too far.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I put a set of wings on my 8.2 I like them, they were a big improvement.
    Improved productivity ......
    The price sure went up from when I got mine that is for sure.

Yea, you want to keep an eye on the edge.Thumbs Up
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'm over 40 hours on my DXT and there may be 1/8 inch worn off from new.

Is your push beam set at the correct height? I could see that doing some wacky stuff as far as cutting edge wear.

Wings are by far worth the investment. I can't imagine plowing without them.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your scraping down to pavement you will wear them out faster.
  8. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

srl28, do you have plow shoes on your plow? We are big believers in plow shoes. We added them to all of our plows 4 years ago and noticed a dramatic change in the wear levels of our blades. We found the cost savings to be dramatic.
  9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Plow shoes are great.... I'd you don't want to scrape. I have close to 100hours on my dxt and just now need edges. I always run wings on my plow so it probably slows the wear but not much.
  10. lawnlandscape

90% of the time I could put one of our plows with shoes in the same parking lot as a plow without shoes, right next to each other... and both make a push, and you would notice no difference. Our shoes are set so they do not 'lift' our blades, but rather just take a hair of the pressure off the blade which allows our blades to last at least twice as long while also protecting the paved areas of customers parking lots. Our plows also get stuck on 50% less man holes, and cracks in pavement which also saves us thousands over the course of a season on repairs and maintenance.

I'm a huge believer in plow shoes, and I think there is as much if not more of an argument in overall quality of a snow removal service that uses plow shows vs one that does not.

Our shoes shoes are probably taking as much overall down pressure off the blade as your wings do.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

Plus shoes cost 1/2 the price of a cutting edge! $200 a set of shoes, vs $200 plus per side cutting edge.
  12. lawnlandscape

Plow shoes are less than that. and are cutting edges have the curb guards on them, so I think they're closer to 350 per side

<3 my shoes!!
  13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I can get the dxt edges for my 9.2 with curb guards for 195 a side.
  14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you windrow a lot they will wear faster But if you are in scoop the down pressure is spread out more so will wear less I notice this on all V plows

Plus a person can double up on the ends to help slow wear down and the wings will help to

My new V plow ( not a Boss)I only have 1/2 wear on it and it has 50-60 hours on it I double up on the ends and I run wings the wings edges are poly 1.5 thick
  15. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I had the same thing and same question last year. See the link to this thread and my post and the reply from Boss on 8/19 and 8/20.

I have only just put the formed cutting edges on one snow storm ago (another expected tomorrow) but my new cutting edges were worn in enough to plow normally within about 8 hours. The harder steel should last longer, I'm waiting to see just how long since they are kind of expensive.
  16. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

Has anyone ever switched to a carbide cutting edge?! On our DXT's we are replacing edges every 4-5 pushes at $500 a set for the 10' and $425 for the 9'2" it is gettting old.

Even the V-XT we get about 9-10 pushes out of it but the extra wear resistance from the wings might be helping with that one.
  17. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

There is definitely something wrong with that being worn that fast. They should be at least a year
  18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

What are you plowing? Roads?

How many hours are you getting out the cutting edge?
  19. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

We are getting about 35 hours out of a set with plowing about 5 miles of roads each storm and 40 acres of large lots
  20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Is this with the BOSS Form fit ones that you bolt on after the first one wears down?

If so I would call BOSS and see if they had a problem with them. There was a post on here somewhere not that long ago from BOSS saying that the bolt on ones are hardened just like the others.

You may want to look into carbide, there are blade savers that just cover part of the blade. Or full carbide.