1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DXT blocks lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Snow tracker, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Just got home with the new F450 and a 10 foot DXT. On the way home as it got dark I turned on the headlights and found they were blocked by the plow. I had to lower it quite a bit and of course run the wings out a bit. Is this normal? Is there a extension to raise the lights a bit? Haven't asked Monroe truck cuz they were closed and can't ask til Monday. Any one else have this with the bigger plows?

image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In the picture is the plow still mounted to the truck?
    The headlights appear to be pointing towards the ground, could they not be adjusted?

There is a possibility you had the wrong Coupler Assembly installed, 10ft DXT's require a different one and based on what you're saying for a 10ft the Coupler is taller to get the lights high. I'm just speculating, see if you can find a part number on it.

tower.jpg

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

thats what the plow lights are for . flip the headlite switch up to plow lites

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Looks to be disconnected, no lights "on" plow

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

should be a small black rocker switch mounted on yer dash somewhere , unless they used one of yer upfitter switches

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Thanks oh mighty wise one.......Didn't pick up on the lights not being "on".

7. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

any good ?

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Thought you had me blocked

9. Snow tracker

The picture was taken in a shop at the dealer. Yes plow was disconnected at the time of pictures. Picture was only one I had just to show reference of plow. It's two dark to get a good picture now. Yes plow light switch was on when I was driving and noticed the problem. When plow is al the way up it blocks the "plow" lights on the tower.

Thanks Buff. I don't see a part number in the dark but will look again tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

and BUFF wins the prize , nice werk there son

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

No problem, if it is the wrong one they may of had several installs going on and is feasible there was a mix up.
    My lights on my 8.2 DXT clear the blades by just a few inches when raised in V position, when it's straight they're somewhat blocked and scoop or angled the blades blocks them. Your plow being about 5" taller in the center there would be a problem.

12. Snow tracker

Yeah. I have a 9'2" VXT and if it's raised in scoop it blocks the lights but in V it should not cuz that's the way you need to drive with it. I sent a email to the truck sales man and Monroe sales man so I'll see what they come up with

13. Snow tracker

This may be a better picture.

image.jpg

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah that's a problem.....
    You may have to make a riser if the Coupler Assemble is correct.
    Take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JMWM0gCtg
    based on what I see the light bar is to low.

In addition to talking to your dealer I'd shoot Boss an email asking them about it.

15. Snow tracker

I will follow up with boss as well. Thanks Buff. I also found the light bar has a different part number for the 10 foot as well.

16. Snow tracker

Called Boss directly this morning. This is the response I got

I looked into your concern and it is normal for headlights to be blocked by the plow on our 10’ models, DOT regulations will not allow us to raise the headlights any higher. we make our 10’ models raise higher than our smaller models to be able to stack snow better. You will need to just lower the plow until the lights clear the plow you may have to put the wings forward a little bit if you are worried about the wings scraping the ground.
    Sincerely,

Gordie Pepin
    Service Technician BOSS Snowplow

Anyone else have a 10 foot DXT?

17. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

While I am not doubting BOSS' response on it being a DOT regulation, I call BS on the DOT. What about municipal equipment that have lights mounted much higher?

18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

That's a huge plow for the f450! Awesome looking setup though! We got 9.2 dxts this spring.. mainly bc the ten footers were flared way too tall for our 2-6" we plow in nj typically.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since they recognize the problem and are using DOT regs as to why they can't be raised. I'd fab up a riser for the light bar.

If they're concerned about being DOT compliant why are the producing a plow that is 107" wide, then suggesting increasing the width so the headlights can be used......... Last I knew 102" is as wide as you can be without signage and permits except Hawaii. http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/index.htm#width
    There are what can be considered loop holes for width.

Headlight height varies from state to state, according to Colorado regs my Boss plow lights are too high.....

I'd raise the headlights to keep width to a minimum.

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Add some bumper lights to shine under the plow