1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dust/Moisture Seal E47 lift piston

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by otd66, Nov 29, 2006.

1. otd66

otd66 Junior Member

I know it's probably old hat to most of you, but we're having an interesting discussion here in my shop about the correct orientation of the seal at the very top of an E47 lift cylinder - My old mechanic (a longtime farmer turned mechanic who refused to let a youngin' like me tell him what to do) kept installing the seals with the lip toward the pump. I kind of recall that the seal in this case goes in the opposite way you might first think, with the lip facing up and outward, since this seal is supposed to keep dirt and moisture out, rather than hydraulic pressure in. Our Meyer service manual doesn't really shed any light on the matter. Anyone got an E47 that's never been apart so they can tell me the way it's installed from the factory?

2. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

You are right! The seal is installed upside down (lip facing up) so dirt or moisture cannot get inside the unit. There is an O-ring under the top cap which does not allow fluid to leak from the inside out the top of the unit.

3. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

In fact the manual calls it a "wipe". If your going to replace it buy two of them just in case because from past experience they can be hard to seat correctly sometimes.

4. otd66

otd66 Junior Member

Thanks much!

Thanks much for the info - we're starting in on rebuilding our second E47 in the past week, cleaning out all the crud, and gunk that's accumulated over time. Your help is much appreciated!