1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

During or after the storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FFjed6, Nov 22, 2011.

1. FFjed6

FFjed6 Junior Member

This is a dispute at work...we are a park district and have several lots to take care of, the most important of which is the rec center that opens at 5:30am. Normally after a snowstorm over night, we are called in at 4:30am to open up the rec center. The lot is normally left to fend for itself after 5-6pm, and then not touched until 4:30am. My question to ya'll is 'would you (do you?) plow through the night or wait till the morning?'

Thanks

2. cosgo

cosgo Member

What time does it close? Do you get traffic in there after 5 that packs it all down before you get back in the morning? If so, I'd want to plow with the storm.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

If it closes at 6 pm then we might let it go depending on the forecast but if it was a big storm predicted we would plow with the storm....IMO you shouldn't turn your back on a storm. We would have someone out all night anyway just keeping an eye on things. I have several friends that plow and have seen numerous times where they would get tired and quit hoping to open their places up before morning only to find it snow more than they could handle
    Steve

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would at least run main isles during the time it's open.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

The towns by me leave such buildings until morning usually...I plow during the storm as do most contractors but depending on the number of lots you guys plow is it worth paying someone to plow off hours?

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Our Town tenders out all the parking lots. (Arena, firehalls,pumphouses,medical centers etc.) They have their hands full with roads and sidewalks and found that the tendering process actually makes it cheaper than doing it themselves with a better quality job.Like any commercial lots knowing the hours of operation and traffic flows are 3/4 of the battle. Plans B,C&D are always needed too.

7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

this is kinda like tthe nursery school we do. It closes at 6 or 7 and opens and 5:30AM.
    During a big storm we are usually out through the night, but we usually only plow the lot a couple hours before it opens. This is because NO ONE Is there. Now you do have to worry about the unexpected, like someone coming back in the middle of the night....

Everyone does it until someone slips and you get a lawsuit.
    Its always good to have one clear path through ANY commercial place.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your a park employee,so if you go out after work your paid ot. So the town is trying to cut that down. Depending on how big this place is I would call you in at 330am to get a head start.

9. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

it would depend on how much snow is predicted and what equipment you are planning on using