1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duratracs on a Dually?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Sep 28, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I recently bought a 97 F350 powerstroke dually. Single cab, 8x12 flatbed. Has a Western MVP on it. Anyways, it doesn't NEED new tires, but I am going to buy some for it. I've had great luck with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs before. I've heard a few people say that the sidewall is too flexible on these tires.....I've never had an issue. But with a dually, I am not sure if it may flex too much for the duals to not rub on each other.

Anyone out there have duratracs on their dually? If these don't work, I'm looking at the Goodyear Avenger or Discovery Cooper RT3 treads, as I want an agrressive tire. This truck will be used primarily for normal driving and plowing. Will rarely pull a trailer, but when it does, it's going to be a decent load, say about 10k or so on a bumper trailer or 20k on a gooseneck.

Any suggestions or advice?

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

2007 F350 CC 4x4 DRW With long bed. Have the Duratracs, and have towed 5k with 3k in the bed. No problems. Get em, and don't look back.

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

66000km on my Duratracs on a 2013 F450. 50000km of which came in the winter at the start of this year. Solid tires.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Is this the 450 pickup? They switched to 17" rims in 11' right? We have an 09 450 pickup with eh 19.5 and didnt think they made 19.5" duratracs.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I for one don't love the more aggressive tires for a dually...

We have several ford superduty trucks including duratracks on a 07 F250... they're fine. BUT i got cooper maxx All terrains for the back of our 06 F350 dually and goddam, it feels like your skating on ice when its dry.

With that said, its great when its crappy out, rain, snow, anything and loaded up it feels better than not.

I pulled our gooseneck equipment trailer once with it and its not terrible, but i've since now switch back to bfg trail tires, not the all terrains, but the stock model tire Ford offered as their tire for the original F350s... traction is fine all year for summer months and no wiggle in the back pulling anything.

With the AT tires, it feels like the back axle is lose! I'm not joking.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run summer tread during winter time on the rear They wear better with the V box in the back hold well
    In the front I run a studded snow tire

The duratracs are a ok tire

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I got duratracs on my 01 F350 dually and love 'em. Never seen a problem with 'em and I run a 2 yard sander.