1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yardfarmer, Dec 5, 2005.

1. yardfarmer

yardfarmer Junior Member

I just bought a 01 duramax crew cab short bed that i plan to plow with does anyone have anything to say about plowing w/ this. im hopein this was a smart buy. thanks
  2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Good choice mine works great!!
  3. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

I've had no problems with mine so far. Good luck finding a dealer to mount a plow. No one makes a plow for our trucks due to the gvw. Don't worry about it. Just tell them you have a six liter in it when you buy it, use neversieze on everything when you mount it up. Any chevy plow from 99 until now will fit.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the new HD has a different frame than the previous years I believe

Duramax is a good motor. Plow in tow haul mode. Keeps the allison running cooler.

Ballast in the rear behind the rear tires secured.

Make sure you have the TAN NSBU switch on the trans not the black one. Its easy to change, there is a TSB out on em and they tend to take a dump.

Your plow choice depends on your application.

I'd change the fluid in your rear end, front end, transfer case, and trans since you dont know if it has been done ect since you bouhgt used. That way you have a base line. Also change the allisons spin on filter and dont forget the doughnut magnet!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I was going to try to PM you to see if you wanted me to email you a reference guid I have on my computer but you have PM's turned off. Its matincence schedule ect that should be done with what stuff and quantities to use. Either shoot me a PM or shoot me an email to rat_lover@sbcglobal.net
  6. Snow-B-Gone

Snow-B-Gone Junior Member
    from Maine

Ive had a standard cab 8' body since April '01. This will be my 6th year plowing with a Fischer 8'. I've had no problems......other than not using my head and trying to do just that little bit extra:nono: that always gets me in trouble.

The first year I had the truck I didn't add any additive at all. I have a diesel VW that I had jell up on me (two weeks at 0 or below as the high) and then I started using additive. They start cutting the diesel here in Maine late October or early November but thats not enough.

I neglected to put additive in after a fill up last season and as I pulled out of the garage....I got about 10' and there she sat. I had to put some RED HOT in the tank and the fuel filter. What a pain:yow!: I will never forget again.

Good luck and have a safe season:)