1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nino1025, Dec 7, 2004.

1. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

My duramax temp gauge reads around 209-210 when i have my plow up. Is that too hot? For a deisel??

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I consider anything over 200 too warm in the wintertime gas or diesel.

3. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

it should be fine if it gets over 250 shut it down. try to keep ur plow down a lil more to get more air ionto the radiotors thats all thats happening. u could put an eletric fan in gfront of your radiotor to draw more air in. my friend has a mac truck and he has 4 or 5 fans and when the are all on it will suck a hat off ur head. so try putting some in. eltric works best cause u can control them. with high engine temos ur truck will start better and u will have better heat.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  4. Tarkus

250??? I would be shut down and looking for a cause before then. 220 is the time to backoff as much as possible if you are pulling hard too.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

210 in a duramax is fine, I had a gauge on my attitde juice(it reads off the ecm and is a bit more accurate than the guage) and it read 220 once(gauge read 210 or so) with my 9'6" v blade, 1k of ballast, with air temps in the 50's going over 90mph. do as i say, not as i do. I backed off and the temp came down fine. The duramax normally likes to run with the gauge pointing in the 210. When plowing i have the stainless cold fronts and since i have a chevy i have a split grill, I run with the top cold front in place and the motor dosnt run hot. I leave the bottm one off to let more air get to the trans cooler though. I would watch the trans temp closer than the water temp and plow and drive around with the plow or loaded in TH. You arnt running hot and I see no way to make a functioning duramax(or diesel in general) run hot in the winter. I have a problem keeping heat in the motor

If your duramax starts running hot just pull over and let it idle dont shut it off. If it just starts running hot for no reason(like middle of spring and you are cruising along and the temp starts climbing up) I would pop the hood asap and be prepared to kill it if a belt flew off or your radiator poped or something.

6. Tarkus

I would not use the term fine, maybe acceptable but not "fine". Maybe I am picky but I do keep my trucks for a long time and they do not leak after 10 or 15 years either usually as higher average temps does shorten seal life the question is just how much as only time will tell. I had a old truck once that had a "stat" go bad in winter and it got up to 240 or a bit better limping home. The rear main seal went out over than next few days and leaked very badly too until I changed it.

7. ratlover

from IL

ok......GM has thier duramax trucks set to operate at 210 from the factory according to the gauge. 210(according to the gauge, mine according to the digital display normally ran at 190-212 except for that little highway jaunt with my blade) is normall operating temp, if they didnt want it getting hotter than that then your second thermostat would be opening much sooner and your clutch fan would be kicking on much sooner. BTW, if you ever notice that it sounds like a hovercraft is taking off in your engin compartment that would be the fan and that is normal, it isnt fully enguaged for most people....well ever. The first time it does(if ever unless you are working your truck hard) it will get your attention.

Edit: even though my digital showed 220 i recived no warning in the DIC. to the truck and the factory preset alarms(mine screams at me if I have low wiper fluid) all was still normal and ok even though the computer saw 220(the gauge didnt show that hot) it didnt enter hot mode or anything. All ok according to the factory programing and engineers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  8. Tarkus

Sure it okay with them because they do not expect you to keep truck from 8 or 10 years either because they make less money of those deals. Any engine can run hot for a while but it will run longer and its oil will last longer too it you can run a average temp of 200 or so most of the time. 220 it not certain death but it does stress engine, oil, and seals more longe term than 200 does and 250 is too hot anyway you cut it. GM as a rule like higher temps because it lets them use looser clutch timing to save that last fraction of fuel. My 1 ton has yet to exceed 200 in its life a rarely even goes above 190.

9. ratlover

from IL

Clutch timing???

Aluminum headed motors also need and run better with warmer water.

I wont debate an older SBC or BBC being better to run in the 180-190 range. They do. But a duramax will live just fine at the temp it was intended to run at. Chevy figures the duramax to be a 200k lifespan motor, they tested it at its opperating temp. Now before you or anyone else chimes in with "I have a 350 or a I bought a ____ and i changed the oil bla bla bla and got X outa it" What was that motors original lifespan designed as from the manufacturer? I bet it wasnt 200k ;)

10. Tarkus

Not so. Aluminum expands a lot quicker than cast iron does under heat and it is harder to keep a head gasket long term in a engine to runs hot a lot with a aluminum head. They use aluminum heads to try to keep weight down not because it is more durable.

11. ratlover

from IL

I never said al was more or less durable. you need to run warmer water temp with AL to get the motor to run the best as compared to a CI head. This is especially true if the motor is computer controlled(a gasser) and optomized to run at a certian temp. They use aluminum for weight reasons and becasue it is much easier to machine.

12. Tarkus

Cast iron is easy to machine too and one reason it has been widely used for years. They raise engine temp not to make it run better per say but to try to extract a little more efficency from engine (a fraction less heat from combustion lost to walls and head and used for expansion in cylinder instead thats all.

13. ratlover

from IL

CI is as easy to machine as aluminum? :dizzy:

Have you ever had an aluminum headed small or big block??? Never freaking mind :rolleyes:

I retract my previous statements. Go find some lower thermostats for your duramax(I said stats as in plural since they have 2) becasue if you dont run cooler than the factroy engineers at isuzu designed your motor for it wont last long.

Also dont try to run nitrous on your plow truck and go to the track trying to turn 11's in the 1/4. Them aluminum heads arent as strong as cast iron and will go flying off :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm outa this post :salute:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  14. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

doesn't alluminum disipate heat easier?

15. Screwed up

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  16. Hey Tarkus,
    YOU ARE WRONG ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! Have you driven any new cars lately, they ALL run about 210 as NORMAL operating temperature. This is because the fuel burns better and gets better economy at that temp. My Powerstroke doesn't have a gauge but I know a lot of people are putting in 203" deg thermostats to get the operating temp UP for more power. Just shut up and don't talk ever again MR. I HAVE NO LIFE AND JUST POST BULL.... ON PLOWSITE. LEAVE YOU LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gunsfiring:
    :gunsfiring:

ALSO, RATLOVER KNOWS MORE ABOUT HIS DURAMAX THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING IN GENERAL SO STFU.

001_cwindowstempnsmailq2.jpg

17. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Agree with Ratlover. He is right on with the B life for the engine also.

Also note that the DMAX is a cool running engine on its own, part of the reason you have not seen it available on Tahoe or Suburban.