1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dmax13, Jan 18, 2014.

1. dmax13

dmax13 Junior Member
    from butler

Do all you guys have snow plow prep packages on nbs duramaxes? what does the package consist of? thanks

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Nothing really. You don't need it.

3. dmax13

dmax13 Junior Member
    from butler

Thanks! Local western dealer told me they could not install plow without out the prep package, to my knowledge its an extra alternator.

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats about it.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And your manufacturer won't void your warranty for putting a plow on it. I don't know about the Chevy's, but in my Ram, it came with two batteries as well.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd ask Chevy to be sure. I'd almost bet that a heavier duty fan clutch and upgraded axle are part of it. Ask the manufacturer.

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

If the truck is a Dmax 13 ( like your lame name) and you care about your warrenty dont do it. If theres a problem GM will deny your claim , they look for a reason to do so . And theres more than a clutch fan and extra alt to the plow prep package , like the 6K front axle rating needed for a decent size blade.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They can't void your warranty

Its just a a heavy duty fan clutch extra at is still an option last I heard

You can always crank torsion bars for heavy plow. Check your front axle weight

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Where did you read void warrenty ? Cranking a T-bar wont change the springs rating , you dont need to check the front axle rating if its not plow prep its not 6K. The main question is why would you buy a big bad truck and not buy plow prep?

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The first line of your post.

You don't NEED plow prep. The front ends are exactly the same. Yes they have a few millimeter larger torsion bars, but that might be from 2500-3500.

Everything else is exactly the same. The truck will hold any plow he wants to put on it.

11. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

2500s and 3500s have the same exat front end rating options , the bigger tortion bar is the 6k , they are found on both 2500 and 3500 diesels with plow prep . You have it all wrong.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I Dont have it all wrong. The fact is you DONT need it. Sure its nice to have. But its not going to make a difference

Some z71 and off road packages also have the 6k bars.

But it really doesn't make a difference

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Just cause you have receivers on your truck doesn't mean you have an oversize blade either. For all they know you could have an hts on it.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Correct...

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

x2 2011+ Chevy HD's will carry anything

16. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The only way to get a 6K front axle on a GM pickup is with a diesel that has plow prep , off road pkg has nothing to do with it. And mabey the dealership cant tell what size plow you have by looking at the push plates but they can tell you have a plow . Wiff what are you missing here.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I'm not missing anything.

I'm simply saying its not needed

18. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i would say most trucks don't have the plow prep package unless a plow guy bought the truck brand new and specifically requested it…plow prep packages are hard as hell to find on used trucks, especially if it doesn't come from the NorthEast…from my understanding it's an upgraded alternator, upgraded front springs, transmission cooler, and upgraded clutch fan…the 2 batteries is just typical of most, if not all?, diesels…diesels take much more cranking power to turn it over

plow prep packages are not absolutely necessary, but they are nice to have for sure…my personal truck has the package, but i would be surprised if the other 4 trucks have it…i know one of our trucks bogs down pretty good when moving the plow around, not an upgraded alternator

i would look into it before i did anything with a plow, as far as warranty on the truck goes…like someone else said, they WILL find anything they can to void the warranty…i would start with asking your dealer what you need to do…it will cost a lot more unfortunately than it if came with it, it's like a $85 fee from the factory, and much more expensive after it rolls off the assembly line

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. dmax13

dmax13 Junior Member
    from butler

Spoke to the dealer today plow does not void warranty, the only thing that voids a warranty on a duramax is a tuner.the truck has the heavy duty tow package, so the clutch fan is larger, torsion bars and torsion keys are the same on 11-14 2500s.