1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax vs 6.0

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WiscoMan, Sep 13, 2013.

1. WiscoMan

WiscoMan Junior Member

I am new to plowing and have a 2005 duramax that I would like to put a V-plow on. However, every plow dealer in my area refuses to install a bigger plow than a 7'6" mid weight straight blade because they say I would be over my front axle rating. I am looking to get a 8'6" Western MVP3. Does anyone have a V-plow on a duramax and could give any insight? Do I buy a 6.0 or put the plow on my duramax? Whats a better plow truck 6.0 or 6.6?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 2007's with a the duramax. I have an 8'6" Western MVP Plus on one and a Boss VXT 9'2" on the other. I also had an 09 CCSB Duramax with an 810 Blizzard. I installed all these plows myself and have had no front end problems. I do have Timbrens in them all also.
    Also we run a set of wings on the Western.
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

And I have 6.0 l gassers and most run 9 ft blades plus wings so they are almost 11 ft wide. Never any extra problems.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've had 6 Dmaxes and every one had a V plow on it. 3 were CCSB's and the others were Xcabs. They were all 2500's, and one was a 2wd. You'll be fine.
  5. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

You'll be alright! We just bought an almost new Dmax 2500HD and plan to put a 9.5' V Plow for this coming snow season. I have no doubt that it will be amazing, cause of the experience I have an '03 8.1 2500hd with a 8.5' V on it. Great combination!
    You can also turn up the torsion keys to add some front end height. Just to be safe. We did it to the 8.1 and will a 780lb plow of the front it only drops an inch back to stock height.
  6. WiscoMan

WiscoMan Junior Member

One of the dealers said that if I were to get into an accident, my insurance company may not cover me because I would be over the Front axle weight limit. Anyone ever run into this problem? I like my diesel but I just bought a 6.0 yesterday for a steal. One of them needs to go but unsure what one. The 6.0 is about $200 less per month on payments but the fuel mileage is complete crap. But this truck is rated to be able to handle a bigger plow. And cost of upkeep is cheaper. I need opinions!!! What would you do in my situation?
  7. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I've got a 03 & 07 Dmax I'm putting on Boss Vxt
  8. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Keep your Dmax and put your plow on ive have never had a problem with insurance or front axle. but the my dealer used to say the same thing until I proved him wrong.
  9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You will not be overweight in either if it's an '11 or newer... I scaled out my Denali yesterday front axle was 4200 lbs, leaving over 1000 for a plow on a crew cab diesel...