1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

duramax vs. 6.0 liter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FULLBURN, Mar 20, 2007.

1. FULLBURN

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

Tired of my ford, last tranny problem sealed my choice, had a 7.3 diesel. trying to decide with price of diesel these days is it worth it to get a duramax or would I be just as happy with 6.0. much less to purchase an gas is less. Do you think that more people are chosing gas over diesel these days?

2. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

It really depends on the application.
    If you are plowing a lot of places and are pulling heavy loads all the time then the Duramax is the only way to go IMO. I guess it also comes down to afford-ability, Can you justify the extra $$$? Me personally I would not go back to gas for a work truck.

Jason

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

With the higher cost of deisel fuel it might be tempting to go gas on your next truck, but do some math first and figure out the long term economies of the situation...deisels tend to go further on a gallon of fuel than gassers...I suspect that its more or less a wash when you factor in that the higher per gallon cost is offset by fewer gallons consumed.

Top it off with significantly more availabe power and you might give deisel another look.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

It all comes down to personal preference in my opinion. Personally, I will always have a diesel truck hauling me around. I love the benefits of diesel engines. If your going to be hauling around skid steers and dump trailers, things like that, diesel makes the most sense. If you have lighter loads, then gas is the way to go. And i'm not saying gas engines wont pull those types of things by any means, just that diesels are more suited for heavier loads. It also depends how long you keep a truck. 1 year? 2 years? Diesels will run for ages where gas engines will give you repair costs from time to time. All comes down to preference, IMO. DIESEL for me! :salute:

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing to gain but here goes...

I have nothing to gain by saying this, Diesel if you can afford the initial cost.Having owned and operated older versions of both.
    More mpg,haven't heard anyone dispute that.Sometimes two times the mpg. Say you went 500 miles with both; A diesel at 18mpg and a big block at 10mpg,diesel at $2.70 per gal and gas at $2.41 (87oct)per gal it would cost you $74.99 in the diesel and $120.41 in the gas,how is gas a better deal? Thats $2,400 a year back if you drive 500 miles a week in a diesel.Keep the truck for three/four years and you paid for the upgrade.Just round numbers....Then add in resale and your +++
    More power and torque down low where needed.
    Almost twice the resale value on a ten year old truck, Diesel versus Gas.
    Diesel maintenance is almost only oil and filters.Like anything there are exceptions, the horror story, but as a rule diesels don't need a whole lot..Good batteries ,clean filters...Haven't seen many gas motors with 250,000+++ on them but there are a ton of diesels out there still going strong.
    It all comes down to what you can afford and when.
    What some of the gas guys say about their poor fuel mileage, well it is a write off and I didn't buy the truck for mpg and then they say diesel trucks cost so much more initially.Well I'd rather write off a diesel and have lower daily operating cost and a higher resale personally. Just good business.
    Just my ".02" after learing the hard way...

6. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

My 6.0 gets 10.5 mpg empty and my friends 6.6 18.0 on avg. diesel is only .09 a gallon more than gas here I'm thinking about a duramax myself

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I average 20 + MPG, hand calculated 80% highway. So I'm a diesel advocate.

8. FULLBURN

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

Lots of input, I was saying to my wife we are so use to diesel, have had nothing else since 94 would we be happy with performance of gas. was just a thought with price of fuel these days. probably will stick with diesel

9. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Well the diesel engine will last longer also.

Tim

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel is cheaper per mile..

Think of it this way,
    If your diesel is getting 18mpg at $2.71 a gallon and a gas version is getting 10mpg at $2.51 per gallon.
    Then it cost you .15 to a mile for the diesel versus .25 a mile for the gas.It actually cost .10 less per mile for fuel to drive a diesel.
    These are as close to real numbers as I have,from local station today.

11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Why dont you just get a BTS transmission in your 7.3? problem would be solved.

12. FULLBURN

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

realy not impressed with rest of truck either, I have been a long time ford fan but lately it's just not doing it. Have had other folks say the same, heard a lot of good about the duamax. Time to upgrade this one, 2001 loaded mason dump. while it's still worth good money. I also have a 94, an a 2000 powerstroke both are fine but the 01 is a pig.

13. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

diesel is the only way to go if you can afford it my next truck will def be a diesel

14. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I would go with gas. I have had gas trucks with 250k, but by that time the rest of the truck is shot. Maybe diesels can go 300k,but by then you have gone through two transmissions and 2 injector pumps and have a cloud of black smoke behind you after every stop light. If you are going to do doing any serious towing get a truck that is buillt for it. IMO diesels belong in bigger trucks, 2 ton and up. I see too many rednecks around here with diesel engines just because they sound cool, maybe thats why the price of diesel is higher now?

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Wow 250K, and no transmissions? You know you are lucky going that far with a gas engine never mind a plow truck.

Not all us rednecks, like the noise and smoke. My Duramax is quiet and it backed but a Allison transmission that has about the best reputation you can get. They don't smoke unless there is something wrong or they are chipped with a performance tune. I hear the new Dodge with a Cummins and 6.4 Ford is also very quiet.

Good luck on you decision. I would test drive them all.

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I know the new 6.7 Cummins is extremely quiet. I do like everything about the diesel engines. But thats just me. To each their own, but I agree with Yaz....:salute:

17. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

mileage??

What do you guys think about light hauling, with 30,000 miles a year. Thats why I was thinking diesel, the overall savings on fuel with the improved fuel mileage?

18. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Come on Gmgbo

That one guys and video has been around forever, and scrutinized buy a ton of Duramax owners. What idiot would keep pushing a truck that is overheated. His truck loaded is facing backwards has 10 times more wind resistance as well.

Believing that video is common is about as dumb as thinking all gas engines will go 250K without any trouble. The engines overheats reported were only LLY's with guys pushing the weight in very hot climates.

And yes mine can, maybe your 6.0 wouldn't heat up but it most certainly wouldn't even be able to keep up hauling a heavy wind restricted load with a Cummins or any diesel in it best day.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007