1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax setup question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CandyAces, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CandyAces

CandyAces Junior Member

I just started a landscape co this year and I want to get into plowing. I am a plowing virgin and I have a 07.5 ext cab dmax 4x4 with a 6.5 bed. I dont know what I need to do to the truck to make it carry the weight of either a Western Wideout or a 8'6 boss v blade. I know I will need the timbrens but what else do I need. How much ballast do I need? I cant use the fitment guides on the plow websites because they say with the diesel engine it will overload the front end but I know guys are doing it. Thanks guys and take it easy on the greenhorn .:help:

2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Do you have a plow prep package???

3. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

I run a 8 2 vxt on mine same year and model as yours just with the t bars cranked up. Don't necessarily need ballast but 500- 1000lbs helps

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive run an extreme v for several season with 500 balast no issues. More ballast is better Ive even plowed with no ballast no big deal for me. Ive never needed timbrens or anything else. 04 2500hd duramax cew cab no plow prep option for my tuck.My torsion bars have the gl code.

5. CandyAces

CandyAces Junior Member

No I don't have plow prep package. I have two batteries and was thinking of adding a Additional alternator and wiring for strobe lights myself.

6. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Just put any plow you want on, crank the torsion bars and your good! Will your truck work without ballast ? Yes! But with ballast against your tailgate you will plow better, plow will come off the ground faster ( because the back won't raise up), you will be safer driving around because your back wheels won't be light!
    There are many good reason to have ballast with a heavy plow. And really no bad reasons .
    Don't really need the extra alternator . But that's a personal call on you.
    If you can fit more than a "finger" between the bottom of your alternator and the bracket below it than its not the " high" amp alternator.
    I ran timbrens on one of many Duramax's and really didn't see the difference ? Once again, a person choice ?

7. CandyAces

CandyAces Junior Member

Thanks guys for the help.

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Few cranks on the tbars and timbrens + ballast is always a good idea. For traction and counterweight as mentioned before. My truck holds the 9' v great with that recipe.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

What they said! Truck will hold just about any plow just fine. Balast is a great idea though I don't run any...probably should.

When referring to the t-bars the term "crank" I think is overused. Just give them a couple/few turns.

10. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Read up on the big three wiring. You really don't need a bigger alt. You need more amps at lower RPM.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Counterweight rules