1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax Plow Warranty???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Blacksmokey, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Blacksmokey

Blacksmokey Junior Member

First off I like to say hello,:waving: as I am new to this forum. But anyways what can you do to a no plow prep duramax to be able to have a plow on them without the warranty being avoided? My dad is having grief with our local dealer with his 2004 duramax and he wants to put a Boss Vplow on it but can't. The dealer said the warranty would be voided, but would it only void the drivetrain? What to do?

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I believe it only voids the Allison transmission warranty. Also alot of it is up to the dealer as to cover under warranty or not.

3. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Putting a plow on a Duramax with out a plow prep package will void all factory warranties. I have heard numerous cases since my brother work at a Chevrolet dealership. The Dealership that he works at got caught doing warranty work from plow related issues, needless to say things happened, and I strongly reccomend not putting a plow on your truck.

4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

If it makes you feel any better we've hung 4 Boss V's from 4 Chevy Diesels over the years '93, '96, '05, '06,with no unusal problems. If you're good to the transmission it will last until out of warranty before repairs. We've had injector pumps replaced under warranty with no wrinkles (although not part of drive train directly) But they were with plow prep so this may not apply to this case

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  5. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

To give you a simple answer, try another dealer. Hopefully you can find one that will warranty the truck for defects (non plow related) and give them your future business.

-Greg

6. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

are the d-max's even available w/ the plow prep package?

7. heather lawn spray

. . . Got two of them in the driveway:nod:

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i know that the regular cabs are, but i am not sure if they offer the exteded cab or crew cab models.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No prep package on a CC. My dealer puts 9'2 Boss's on their lot trucks to sell. Never had a problem with warranty and if you fry an allison it's probably your fault anyway.

10. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

No plow prep on ext cab or crew cab. I spoke with a commerical salesman today (since I am thinking about a new truck) and he said that all plow installers must adhere to what cannot be installed on a truck. If an installer is caught not adhereing to the guidelines, they could be in trouble. If GM finds that a plow is put on something without a plow prep, it automatically voids all warranties (power and drivetrain)

11. sailinstud420

not on cc? Now im really confused, i have a reg cab, what is in the plow prep package on the diesels? How do I know if I have it? Its not specified on my window sticker??

12. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

With the increased weight of the Allison & Duramax combination, if you have an ext cab or crew cab, the front end capacity is just about maxed out according to federal government standards

13. heather lawn spray

If you go to the GM site and build a truck it will allow only the options permitted

eg. if you want CC and plow prep it will tell you to change one or the other

14. sailinstud420

what does it include?

15. heather lawn spray

16. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Gm's plow prep is total BS! It doesn't even have extra coolers or heavier raited front end. look right from the Gm site.

MSRP* SNOW PLOW PREP PACKAGE
    Snow Plow Prep Package,
    includes 15-amp power for backup and
    roof emergency light,
    high-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness,
    (TRW) Provision for cab roof mounted lamp/beacon,
    instrument panel jumper wiring harness
    for electric trailer brake controller
    and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package (VYU) $90.00

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  17. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

At least Ford actually includes more than convenient wiring and a high performance bumper!

Snow Plow Prep Package $85

- Computer Selected Springs
    - Extra Heavy Duty Alternator W/ PSD
    - Unique Fan Clutch W/ PSD

I guess when your front end is at it's limits in stock form there is no use in trying to beef it up (GM)!

18. heather lawn spray

I'm glad somebody agrees with me:yow!::realmad:

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

maxed out according to federal government standards

That's the kicker! the FVMSS act prohibits more then 62% of the vehicles GVWR on the front axle. GM can't legally offer a plow prep if the mount (the part that stay permanently on the vehicle) weight pushes the front axle weight high enough to exceed this ratio.

If your dealer turns a blind eye there is no problem unless a GM factory guy is standing there at the time.
    And as it's been said, many times, many ways, Merry Chri...ops... it's all about the dealer!

20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Look in the glove box for the code VYU.

YES you can get it in EC config w/Dmax. NO you can't in CC config. Or any truck w/a sunroof. I have a Boss V Plow on my '08 CC Duramax w/sunroof w/no problems. My dealer has no problems either. Find another dealer who wants your business.